WineBoard
What are you opening for Thanksgiving? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What are you opening for Thanksgiving? (/thread-809.html)

- robr - 11-23-2005

We are having three wines:

1. Beaujolais Nouveau

2. Woodbridge Select Vinyard Series, 2003 Ghost Oak Chardonnay

3. Jacob's Creek Brut-Cuvee.

How about you?

- californiagirl - 11-23-2005

03 Loring Clos Pepe, 02 Novy Sonoma Syrah, and some type of Moscato for the MIL

- Innkeeper - 11-23-2005

After killing a couple bottles of Nouveau, we may open a Tobin James Zin for dessert.

- TheEngineer - 11-23-2005

What...only three??? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

(1) GduB Nouveau B.
(2) 2001 Mas De Gourgonnier, Reserva Du Mas
(3) 2004 Weingut Vollenweider Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spatlese Portz for the white.

After...may look for a nice port...I mean who often do you get to do this at home??

- hotwine - 11-23-2005

Taking Messina Hof Pinot Grigio and mags of Louis Valbray NV Cuvee Reserve Saumur to Houston (along with turkey and all the trimmings), to help younger SIL move into her house. The PG has a flavor profile more like SB than a real PG (and may in fact be an SB, for all I know.... lots of subterfuge in Texas winemaking). Costco has the mags of Saumur for $17 and change.

- Kcwhippet - 11-23-2005

Don't have a clue yet. It will probably be a PN - probably one from Loring, APVin, Siduri or one like that. Have a half bottle of Dow's 1997 LBV to share with my son after dinner.

- Kcwhippet - 11-24-2005

So far we've had a 2002 Markham Napa Chard, 2002 Loring Clos Pepe PN, 2003 Loring Llama PN and the 97 Dow's LBV. The night is young.

- TheEngineer - 11-24-2005

The best laid plans.....

2004 Tintero Moscato D'Asti, Garantita, Sori' Gramella
2004 Chateau le Payral, Bergerac Sec
2004 Joel Gott, Sauvignon Blanc, California
2004 Robledo Family Winery, Seven Brothers Sauvignon Blanc,...

Notes posted elsewhere.....and the night is young....keep eyeing that bottle of port....

- robr - 11-24-2005

Very interesting variety of notable wines. BTW, the Beauj Nev was terrible, IMHO. We went for the Chardonnay.

- brappy - 11-24-2005

Bodega Catena Zapata Catena Malbec '02
Amon-Ra Shiraz Barossa Valley, Australia '04
Pillar Box Red Padthaway, Australia '04
Palandri Sauvignon Blanc Margaret River, Australia '04
Chateau Saint Martin de la Garrique rose Languedoc, France '03
Cortijo III Rioja, Spain '04

I give thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

mark

- ryome - 11-25-2005

We started the day with a very nice Australian (no, not Austria) riesling from M. Brown (Barossa) and then of course moved on to the Beaujolais-villages nouveau.

- Kcwhippet - 11-25-2005

Finished the day (evening?) with a 2003 David Coffaro Bernier's Zinfandel. Very interesting wine with 10% Petite Sirah, 10% Carignan and 5% Mourvedre.

- brappy - 11-26-2005

I agree w/ Bernkastler; the Nouveau was terrible. Itasted this from two different bottles and the same results. Oh well, still fun to try it.

mark

- robr - 11-26-2005

I was told that the beaujoulais is made from young, almost immature grapes, and it is always a crap shoot. My source said that most years it's really not good, but once in a while it's really great.

I guess this was an average year. It has a wierd nose to it, almost like paint fumes, and does not taste remotely like anything I would want to drink.

- Drew - 11-26-2005

That's why I refuse to drink it. Always iffy or terrible for the same $ of decent lower end offerings.

Drew

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2005

Bernkasteler,
Was it Georges DuBoeuf Beaujolais Nouveau or another producer?

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2005

I shared with friends and sampled:

2004 Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages (nice but I only had half a glass and didn't make any notes. I have reported before on this or possibly the 2002 vintage.

2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer (will post notes under German wines)

Argyle Minus Five (dessert wine from Pinot Noir grapes picked and then frozen to make a simulated ice wine--I have reported on this previously). Some were surprised to see a screw cap but Argyle uses that on all their wines I believe (except sparkling wine? and possibly the upper range such as Nuthouse Pinot Noir).

- robr - 11-26-2005

Wonders,

Yes, it was Georges DuBoeuf.