WineBoard
Bolla Soave - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Bolla Soave (/thread-8038.html)

- lizardbrains - 10-22-2001

I needed a dry white wine for a recipe this evening, and our teeny-tiny liquor store had 2 wines that said "dry" on the back (among other adjectives - but dry was the thing I needed). Anyways, this is what I bought:

Fondata Nel 1883
Bolla
Soave
Denominazione Di Origine Controllata

This is my first Italian wine experience. Will you please tell me about what I just bought? It was only $6.49, so I can't imagine it's a world's-best, but I'm interested in knowing more.

First, I speak English, French, and some Spanish, but not Italian (other than hello, thanks, etc.). I'm trying to figure out the label. Is the type of wine Soave? Is the brand/producer Bolla? If so, what does the first line mean (Fondata Nel 1883)? Does that mean that the producer was established in 1883? And then of course the line above the year 1999 is the appellation? What exactly is that line saying?

What type of wine is Soave? Is it a well-known one? Is Bolla a popular/good producer?

I would love more information if anyone has any for me! Thanks!

- lizardbrains - 10-22-2001

By the way, I didn't want to bring up an old thread, so I'll just comment here about the Bocce thread.

Drew, I know where you're talking about in Baltimore - I went to Towson University, and I just LOVE MD and Balto!!!! I sure miss it! As a French teacher, I play "Boules" (or "Bocce" if you're Italian) with my kids, and they LOVE it!!! I tell them of how I saw men of all ages playing it in the parks in Paris. It's so neat - to watch and to play! Our kids play Playstation, when they should instead be outside playing games! Also, isn't it neat to get "in" with a group of people of a different culture? I love how the reltationship changes once they trust you - they're there for you no matter what.

- Innkeeper - 10-22-2001

Used to recommend it regularly fifteen years or so ago. It has since gone way down hill due to being regulated by the bottom line by megabusiness folks with green eyeshades. It won't harm you. It will taste bland. Sorry.

- lizardbrains - 10-28-2001

It's amazing that a wine could go downhill that much, like you said.

Well, my chicken turned out great! And I also drank the wine with the chicken - it was very good. My hubby even liked it because it didn't "sting".

I want to put it in my wine notes - but I don't know which is the producer and which is the wine name. Could someone please guide me as to how to know which is the name of the producer? Also, is the name of the vineyard on the bottle anywhere? How would I identify it?

Thanks! :-)

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 10-28-2001).]

- zenda2 - 10-28-2001

Welcome back. The wine was made by BOLLA, and the type of wine is SOAVE.
The name of the vinyard probably won't appear on most $6 wines...at that price point we're looking at mass production, not individual vinyards. Glad you and your husband enjoyed the soave.

[This message has been edited by zenda2 (edited 10-28-2001).]