WineBoard
Enotria Barbera - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Enotria Barbera (/thread-7819.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 10-01-2003

Some of you may remember when we were enthusiastic about Monte Volpe Barbera a few years ago. Well, after the original wine.com went belly up at that time, we lost track of it. Well, we got wind of that winery a little while ago, and tracked them down. It seems that there has been some consolidation in Mendocino over the last few years. There is now a Domaine Saint George (http://www.domainesaintgregory.com/index.html). They represent three brands. Saint George produces every pinot known to man. Monte Volpe produces Central Italy type wines. Enotria produces Northern Italy type wines, including a barbera and a barbera reserve, that are no longer produced by Monte Volpe. After an amount of correspondence, we were assured that the Enotria Barbera was a true offspring of the Monte Volpe.

2000 Enotria, Mendocino, Barbera ($14 from Winery). They did not lie. This is a wonderful Northern California Barbera which we may be the only fans of these days since RAD and MrDutton have backed off the board. It has all the attributes of the ole Monte Volpe. It is big (14% alcohol), not hot, full of fruit, and a good shot of oak, that caresses your palate, and finishes fine. The perfect wine for smoked baby back ribs soaked in Carolina Red Sauce, with salad in vinaigrette. Happiness in having a case, which we are about to share.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-26-2004).]

- hotwine - 10-01-2003

IK: "... since RAD and MrDutton have backed off the board." Whazzat mean?

- Drew - 10-01-2003

I'm really confused....is it Domaine St. Gregory or St. George? and were the hell did Dutton and Rad go?

Drew????

- Innkeeper - 10-01-2003

Said they had backed off, not gone away. They are both alive and well, but tied up with a lot of other things. Wherever fumble fingers typed George read Gregory.

- Innkeeper - 10-29-2003

It was a beautiful day here yesterday with temperatures in the high 50s. This after an evening that brought another blow and the third multi hour (five this time) powa ottage of the month. So guessing that it would be the last opportunity to smoke the last rack of baby back ribs in the freezer, I went for it. For my rig to work it has to be 55 degrees or better, and dry.

It turned out to be a perfect day for smoking as expected. Temps in the rig stayed on the "ideal" mark. Also used up the last of Carolina Red Sauce in the fridge. Along with oven roasted Yukon Golds, salad still with our own tomatoes, we popped another Enotria Barbera.

What a way to spend a Tuesday night!

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2004

Today was a beautiful day with the temperatures in the high 10's. Went to the store, looking for something for din din, and found a package of Jordan's Natural Casing Beef Knockwurst. Split and grilled them, and served spead them with Dijon mustard, and veggies (me limas, her asparagus), thoroughly enjoyed all with another bottle.

- Kcwhippet - 01-26-2004

I hate lima beans!!

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2004

Too bad!!!

- hotwine - 01-26-2004

I'm with KC, limas are in that category with pit bulls of things that ought to be exterminated. Can't get the "ham with lima beans" from C-ration days out of my head.

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2004

No problem. I don't like aspargus, broccoli, or cauliflower. Fortunately the latter two have gradually been falling out of favor as the veggie du jour in restaurants.

- Kcwhippet - 01-26-2004

Hotsy's got it. It's the old C rat thing with the limas. Of all the other foods I've eaten in the past six decades, the only other food I don't like is fried liver and onions. Yuck!

- tandkvd - 01-27-2004

I like all of the above mentioned veges. But I love liver and onions! My mom used to make it when I was young. My wife wont even look at it, much less cook it.

And now my mom, after cooking with bacon grease all of my childhood, now only cooks healthy meals. And of course I battle with my colestrol.

But I would still love some liver and onions!

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2004

You can have my share any time.

- Georgie - 01-27-2004

All of the above are fine with me as long as you make those limas the little baby ones and not those big chalky things!

- sedhed - 01-27-2004

I used to trade 3 ham and lima bean c-rations for 1 weiner and beaner. I have yet to knowingly consume a lima bean since 1967.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 01-27-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2004

I would be willing to go hungry than put that old c-rat in me. Georgie, one taste of that horrid stuff would turn you off on lima beans for life.

- Georgie - 01-27-2004

I believe you! Sounds awful.

- sedhed - 01-27-2004

I believe Kcwhippet and I suffer from a PTLBD.
P.S. I forgot to add Hotwire but I think he received treatment at the VA.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 01-28-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 01-27-2004

Would that be "post traumatic lima bean deficiency?" I feel sorry for you grunts. Glad I was an Airedale.

- sedhed - 01-27-2004

A noble calling. My father worked on the flight deck of the USS Lexington CV 16 during WWII.
PTLB[Disorder]

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 01-27-2004).]