WineBoard
Collavini Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Collavini Merlot (/thread-7807.html)

Pages: 1 2

- scimmiatinit - 08-28-2002

"The wine in question is a label made for us..." !!!!!!
My friend I just said "never heard about it..." and now I know why!
I never tried it so it doesn't mean it's good or it's not !
YOU were the one disappointed about the bottle shape !!!!!!
Anyway if they bottle this wine with Your own label why don't You also choose the right bottle... and what is the name of this "very distinguished cooperative" ...

Happy for You about all this "famous italian wine people" that are proud to be in Your enoteca, ... but I don't think I have to ask them anything...

I live in Napoli (Naples) south of Italy and I DO NOT LIVE ON WINE BUSINESS !!!!
I just love wine world and I write FREE for some small webmagazine suggestin' less famous but good value wines to my readers, so I perfectly agree on Your philosophy,... findin' NEXT big thing... but maybe the difference is in which direction, which factors must be considered a priority in this searchin'...

- Botafogo - 08-28-2002

Nice try at a backpeddle, Fabio, but what you said:

>> YOU should better concentrate on the wine You choose... TREVINI sicilian reds ... never heard about it... <<

was a CLEAR and unambiguous challenge to the quality of our tastes and the quality of the wine.

I only listed those people to make sure they were people you HAD heard of. We are the largest importers and marketers of the fabulous and vastly overlooked wines of Lombardy in the Western Hemisphere, featuring the wines of nearly every cantina in the Valtellina, six serious producers from Oltrepò Pavese and even three different labels of Sangue di Giuda. We have decamped from Toscana in a big way in favor of little known (in the US) wines of comparable quality and much better value from the Marche and Emilia-Romagna like Serenelli, Ciu Ciu, Mecella, Stefano Ferrucci and Podere dal Nespoli. We sell more Arneis than Chardonnay and more Bonarda than Sangiovese.

From your zona, we were the first people to bring wines from De Lucia, Cantine de Pietratorcia, D'Ambra, Orazio Rillo, Cantina Marino and BIOS in Parco Cilento and many more to the American Market. As to "living on the wine business" being an apparently evil thing, everyone from the wineries to the distributors to the retailer do so and if they did not you would not have any wine to drink let alone write about.

If you would calm down a little you would probably see we have much in common, Roberto

- scimmiatinit - 08-29-2002

Dear Roberto,

I am just following these forums since few months but what I can say and see (that's a personal, maybe wrong or superficial, impression)is that every time You get the occasion You write down the names of wines and wineries You sell or deal with... (there is an apposite forum for that called advertising/promotion... just kiddin')Trevini, anyway, was the best example of that... !!!! That's why of my "hot" reaction. Sorry. Maybe it's natural because is what You know best, it's Your everyday experience ...
Maybe it's just Your way of bein' helpful to others ... and even from Your last post I see You keep goin'on the same ...

Livin' on wine business is NOT an evil thing, I would be the happiest person in the world if I could turn my passion for wine into a serious and profitable thing... (why You always put on my mouth/lips words I never said or thought...-that's the translation of an Italian way of sayin'-?).
I think that is still a good reason that makes people less impartial or not very-objective. You know what I mean...

I am happy to see there is such an appassionate and expert about italian wines as You are, and I really think You are much more prepared about italian wine world than many italians involved in and thought to be great experts...

Good choose of Campania wines !!!

Sorry if I seemed to be not calm, I am very calm indeed !

Ciao
Fabio

- Botafogo - 08-29-2002

Fabio, look at it this way:

We have the entire output of Italy at our disposal but we taste thousands of wines, make very involved evaluations of both absolute quality and relative value and then choose to bring 2,000 or so labels a year to North America (and soon to Brasil). So, having done all of that research, why would we talk about wines we found to be lacking in either intrinsic quality or monetary value unless we were responding to someone else's post on those wines?

To take this one step further, if we had in fact ALL of the labels made in Italy in our store, would talking about any of them still be tainted by some sort of commercial interest in your mind? As I always remind people when this comes up, Marvin Shanken or Robert Parker or Daniele Cernilli are NOT going to exchange a bottle for you that they recommend and you don't like but we will.....

Also, if you do a search of all of my posts, I have almost NEVER started a thread by talking about any wine we sell, USUALLY am talking about standards of criticism, culture in general and especially wine and food pairing and MOST posts involving any wine we do sell (a large majority of which we are the only source in the US so no one else has the info) is providing more info or clarification after someone else has posted on them. I just did a search on my user name and the first 200 posts were 90% food and wine matches and I had to look hard to find any specific wine names, it was mostly on the order of "What do I serve with Chinese Seafood?" and me replying "The best Prosecco you can find in your area".

Last night we had dinner here in a local Neapolitan trattoria (Lucè on Melrose) and planned a dinner with the wines of Campania and Basilicata, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-29-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 04-01-2003

The '98 Collavini Merlot is still doing fine, if not improving. Popped another last night with Super Burgers (http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum9/HTML/000479.html). Wonderful.

- Innkeeper - 06-14-2003

Finished the last of my fourteen Collavini '98s last night, consumed over the last twenty six months. It never backed off, and indeed kept improving little by little. Last night as I was decanting it, the lovely aroma lept up at me, even though I was quite congested. Noticed this morning that Pop's still has it in the '98 vintage for $119.25 per box. Methinks we'll go that route again!