WineBoard
notes/impressions from a taste of italy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: notes/impressions from a taste of italy (/thread-7771.html)

- newsguy - 02-19-2004

went to a tasting of about 100 italian wines on sunday at B-21 in tarpon springs. i stuck exclusively to the reds and tasted 30-plus. at large tastings i don't feel my taste buds survive long enough to actually assign point scores to wines, so i put them into more general categories. in each category, wines are listed with my favorites at the top and working down. have no ideas how long each bottle had been open prior to tasting, and the thoroughness of my notes varies. after my impressions i've included a numerical rating from a national publication if available. price listed is regular retail at this shop, not the discounted price from tasting.

EXCELLENT

MY BEST OF TASTING: 1997 Casanova di Neri Cerretalto Brunello di Montalcino ($100) - almost black in color. a remarkable, deep nose of dried raisins, licorice, dark fruit, minerals, meat and toast. tongue coating flavors of dark fruits and spices, with a very long, expanding finish. 97 WS.

2000 Castello Di Fonterutoli Siepe Super Tuscan ($90) - very young and blackish, with blueberries at the forefront of the deep aromas, giving way to coffee and chocolate. rich flavors of the same, with oak showing on the finish. 92 RP.

2001 Argiano Toscana Solengo IGT ($80) - inky, blackish purple, with huge nose of toffee, dark fruits cedar and bubble gum. similar flavors, with some oak on the finish. 95 WS.

1997 Ruffino Greppone Mazzi Brunello di Montalcino ($60) - best ruffino i've had. dark, concentrated and juicy. long finish. 96 ST.

1995 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino ($100) - at 9 years old still a dark wine, with lightening at the rim. a wonderful, deep nose of dark fruit, spices and earth. elegant mouthfeel, with flavors of dark red fruits, spice and black pepper. long silky finish. 94 WS.

1996 Mauro Molino Barolo Vigna Gancia ($45) - great color, nose and concentration, with a long expanding finish. nice value. 92 RP.

1997 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva ($100) - blackish purple, with remarkable nose of brown sugar, caramel and dark fruit. very good concentration with silky tannins and a long finish, with flavors building on the tongue. 95 WS.

VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT

BEST OF THE REST: 2000 La Spinetta Pin ($45) - always a good value. nearly black, with great nose of licorice, dark fruit and spices. tastes of same, with good concentration and solid finish. 92ST.

1997 Tenuta Friggiali Brunello di Montalcino ($50) - purplish amber in color. good nose of earthy, spicy dark fruit. powerful flavors of same, with some tannins and a very good finish. 93ST

1999 Poliziano Le Stanze Super Tuscan ($50) - ruby/purplish. a big, dark, young wine that is rich and juicy, and will improve with time. RP 89

1999 Castello Di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Riserva ($50) - almost black in color. a deep nose of dark fruits with similar flavors, plus spices. 93 W&S

1999 Avignonesi Toscano Toro Desiderio ($50) - very big merlot. nice nose and deep flavors of dark fruit and licorice, with a hint of tar and a dose of tannins. 93WS

2001 Brancaia Chianti Classico ($25) - this producer makes big rich wines that need some cellar time and this is no exception. black in color. big nose of dark fruit, earth and spice. big tastes of similar flavors. good finish despite drying tannins. good value. 91 WS

1999 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducal Gold Label ($30) - much better than i expected give previous experience with this wine (and the tan label). nice nose of cherry, dark fruit and spices, with similar flavors. medium mouthfeel, fine tannins. decent value. 88WS.

1999 Sotttimano Barbera d'Asti Pairolero ($27) - darkish purple in color. nose deep nose, very good fruit flavors and an elegant mouthfeel. good value.

1999 Barone Ricasoli Casalferro Toscano ($40) - plums lead the way among the dark fruits here, plus vanilla and some spice. very tasty. 90 WS

GOOD to VERY GOOD

1997 La Poderina Brunello Poggio Banale ($80). dark, with lightening at rim. good nose and good concentration. big wine; big price. 93 RP

2000 Casanova de Neri Rosso di Montalcino ($20) - purplish, turning amber at the rim. nose and tastes of dark red fruits. elegant mouthfeel with drying tannins. good value. 90 WS.

1999 Castello di Brolio Chianti Classico ($30) - blackish garnet. nose and flavors are very similar to that of a brunello: dark red fruits, licorice and toast. 92 WE.

2001 Fonterutoli Chianti Clasico ($20) - blackish purple. reminded me of a bordeaux. nose and taste of dark fruits (cassis and plums) plus a hint of barnyard. very good value. 93 WE.

1997 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva del Sorbo ($50) - this wine is bricking. nice nose of barnyard spices and cherry. medium/light mouthfeel and tastes of same. 91 WS

1997 Fattoria di Delsinoa Fontalloro ($60) - bricking. very nice nose of cherries and spices. ready to drink. 94 WN

1999 Paitin Barbera d'Alba Campolive ($27) - good value.

1999 Barone Ricasoli Rocca Guicciada Chianti Classico Riserva ($16) - surprisingly dark color. deep nose of black fruits. leather, minerals and spices. tastes of cherry and pepper. great value. 90 WE

2001 Brolio Chianti Classico ($13) - dark purple. nose of dark fruit, mushroom oak and tar. good flavors. good value. 87WE

2001 Barone Ricasoli 1141 Chianti Classico ($13) - blackish purple. a very good sweet nose of dark fruits and oak. good flavors of same. good value.

2001 Ruffino Aziano Chianti ($10) - good nose and big fruit flavors. from vintage to vintage, this is a great value.

TAKE A PASS

1995 Canalicchio di Sopra Brunello di Montalcino ($50) - brickish. interesting nose of nuts. red fruit and perfume. good flavors and a good finish. but not a good price. 91 ST

2000 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Tan Label ($20) - just an average wine and not worth the money.

1991 Guiseppe Rinaldi Carolo Brunate ($35) - brick/salmon color. i was really looking forward to trying a mature barolo. i was left very disappointed. light nose of licorice and camphor, with similar diluted tastes. this wine tasted years into a downslide. wonder if storage was an issue.

A few lasting impressions on Italian wines from this tasting: 1) The '97 brunellos are worth the wait. And on some of them, there's quite a bit of waiting left. 2) Although I tasted quite a few quality wines here, I think most of them are overpriced. You're being asked often to pay a very high premium for high quality. I pick those spots very carefully, preferring to buy almost exclusively in the under-$25 range for Italian wines.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-19-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 02-19-2004

Thank you very much Newsguy. It is tough to evaluate so wines at one time. Seems you did a good job.

- hotwine - 02-19-2004

A yeoman effort on the notes! Thanks for taking the time.

- Drew - 02-20-2004

Nice notes,Keith, too bad I can't afford most of them beauties.

Drew

- cheeps - 02-20-2004

newsguy - Hi, I'm very new to wine and have only just started trying different reds and trying to learn about them (I formerly drank only white wines, atho I really don't know as much as I should about those either!). I bought a bottle of 1997 Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva Ducal - I think what I have is a Gold Label, but the bottle is home, so I can't say for sure. I was curious about your comment that it was "much better than I expected given previous experience with this wine." I paid $29 which is a real splurge for me, and it is the most I've ever spent on a bottle of wine so far. What is it that you haven't liked about this wine? I know taste varies from person to person, and at the point I'm at now I still can barely tell one wine from another, altho I am getting a bit better, so I may not be able to appreciate the subtleties that you can. Thanks!

Lisa

- sedhed - 02-20-2004

newsguy I'm green, white and red with envy.

- newsguy - 02-20-2004

lisa: i've found the ruffino ducal bottlings (especially the tan label) to generally be disappointing. ruffino is a known name out there to the average wine consumer, and i think people go with a name that they know and are willing to pay for that "comfort." i've come across several chiantis that deliver more and cost less than the ruffino ducals. that said, i think the gold label is a pretty darn tasty wine. and in a great vintage like 97, even the tan label rocked. i am holding onto one 97 gold label (was a gift) and plan to drink sometime this year. i'd guess its ready to go. and i just really got into wine a little over four years ago. you have a lot of fun ahead learning what you like. and this board can help A LOT.

drew: i can't afford most of them, either. not that i would buy most of them even if i could. i'd rather drop the big bucks on a cali cab or even an aussie shiraz. for me, much more bang for the buck. but if i ever were going to drop $100 on an italian wine, that 97 Casanova di Neri Cerretalto Brunello di Montalcino might be the one. wow!

and the rest of youse guys: thanks. and it was my pleasure taking the notes [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img], but a real bear typing them all in.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-20-2004).]

- winoweenie - 02-20-2004

A great effort there Newsie! WW

- cheeps - 02-22-2004

Thanks for the info newsguy - I do have the gold label, and I'm looking forward to tasting it.

Lisa

- mrdutton - 02-22-2004

Now I know why a trip back to B-21 would be worthwhile! It has been four years or more since we've been down that way.

Going to start packing as soon as I log off this site!

- newsguy - 02-23-2004

thanks, WW.

you're welcome, lisa.

and if you're ever down in the tampa area, mrdutton, make sure to let me know. would love to get together to share a bottle or three.