WineBoard
Barbera Tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Barbera Tasting (/thread-7682.html)

- RAD - 06-17-2000

Scoop's recent post, "Vietti strikes again," and my own comments to it, prompted me to undertake a Barbera tasting of my own. So, my wife and I picked 2 from our collection, and then ran over to Garnet here in NYC and picked up 2 more. Here's what we're tasting tonight:

1995 Bovio Barbera D'Alba "Regiaveja"
1997 Bovio Barbera D'Alba "Il Ciotto"
1997 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barbera D'Alba Monforte Bussia (WS 85)
1998 Vietti Barbera D'Alba Tre Vigne

We're looking forward to it! Just uncorked the bottles--the '97 Bovio actually shows some seepage through the cork; we'll see. Thanks for planting the seed, Scoop! We'll post our notes after dinner. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 06-17-2000).]

- RAD - 06-18-2000

So here's the notes from last night's Barbera tasting. We tasted them in reverse chronological order, with the 1998 Vietti first, the 1997 Poderi Aldo Conterno second, the 1997 Bovio third, and the 1995 Bovio last.

First, the overall "scores":

Both my wife and I ranked the 1997 Bovio #1. The Vietti was controversial: I ranked it #2, but my wife ranked it dead last, saying she wouldn't buy it again (more on this in a moment). We both ranked the 1997 Poderi Aldo Conterno #3. She ranked the 1995 Bovio #2 and I ranked it last.

As for the 1997 Bovio: we both found a nice ruby color, typical Barbera acidity, and low tannins. (However, relating to tannins, I found a very full and round mouthfeel compared to the others). I found a nose of wet earth and berries, with dried cherry flavors and a long finish that started with hints of tar and ended in smokiness. Very nice.

As for the 1998 Vietti, which Scoop posted on earlier: my wife and I had tasted this wine before, and I recalled liking it, and remembered it having a taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Last night we figured it out. (My wife and I were sitting across the table from one another, taking notes while we tasted, and not talking about the notes until we were finished). The Vietti exhibited it's peculiarity again, both on the nose, in the mouth, and on the finish. I was trying to be brutally honest in my notes, and I wrote down caramel, or more specifically butterscotch. These aren't flavors I typically run across in a red wine. Suffice to say, my wife also wrote down caramel! A long finish, again butterscotch. I'm very much interested in other's comments on this, particularly Scoop's, if you're reading this.

The 1997 Poderi Aldo Conterno, which we both ranked third, had the cleanest finish of the lot--unremarkable, but not unpleasant. A fruity bouquet, pleasant acidity, with cherry flavors.

The 1995 Bovio, which my wife had recently declared to be her favorite wine, was judged by her as #2 of the lot, while I ranked it last. I noted some strawberry elements, but kept getting a taste akin to rubber that reminded me of a motor shop. My wife found some earth and strawberry.

Not exactly scientific, but a lot of fun. And with four bottles, we drank a good bit--probably nearly a bottle each--so we corked the rest and put them in the fridge, to be finished off tonight!

I'd love to hear about how others conduct at home tastings.

RAD

- winecollector - 06-18-2000

I've personally found it difficult to "properly" judge more than three wines at one sitting, because by the time I get done with the third wine, I'm starting to feel pretty good! I refuse to waste good wine by spitting it out after experiencing the "mouthfeel." I guess you could more accurately call me a "wine drinker" than a "wine taster!"

I haven't tasted any of the wines that you listed in those vintages. I did however, taste the 96' & 97' Vietti that you had the 98' of, and the 97' was about as perfectly balanced of a Barbera de Alba that your going to find. Not only that, but considering the high quality of the 97' vintage, I expect it to hold up for a while longer than a Barbera normally would. I'm hoping so anyway, because I still have more of it in the cellar!

One year can make a very big difference.

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 06-18-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 06-18-2000

Even though we're retired, we still have lots of room. So RAD, you and yours can still pack up those Barbera's, bring them up here, and we'll finish them in one night! So long as they are not made from the hateful CS-M-or C grapes! Long live WITHSTAND!!! Incidentally, Happy Father's Day for all of you for whom it is appropriate. We had a fabulous Nebraska mesquite grilled steak, with rolls, salad, and a strange red wine from Columbia Crest that tasted like something Bucko would have recommended.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 06-18-2000).]

- RAD - 06-18-2000

Innkeeper, as someone has already replied to me in this forum, be careful what you offer! My wife and I love Maine, and we might just show up on your doorstep with a bunch of Barbera in tow! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Scoop - 06-20-2000

Just back from being eaten alive in the Adirondacks!

An interesting tasting. I'll be on the lookout for the Bovio '97. As Winecollector mentioned, 1997 was a fabulous vintage in Piemonte (and especially for Barbera), so it's not too surprising that the 1997 was your top pick. Another interesting test for the wines would be with food: Barberas are built for food (great acidity), and your choices might change if you served the wine with a meal.

On the 98 Vietti, I don't recall butterscotch or caramel per se, but I do remember some tar, roast and herbs, which might have translated into caramel for you --it's not a big stretch.

I guess I'll just have to taste it again!

I have another 1997 Barbera to mention, but I'll have to check my "cave" for the producer -- memory block for the moment.

Cheers,

Scoop

[This message has been edited by Scoop (edited 06-20-2000).]