WineBoard
Kalike Vermentino - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Kalike Vermentino (/thread-7627.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-16-2002

1998 Kalike, Vermentino Di Gallura, D.O.C. e Garantita ($10 WineExpo). A muscular white from Sardinia that was still at its peak at age four. Not too many other Italian Whites can do that. It was very floral on the nose and upfront with accompaning almond nuances. Very complex fruit and abundantly full body (belying the 12% alcohol level) on the palate, and a lovely finish. Matched nicely with sauteed chicken breasts with mushrooms and cream sauce in the Italian manner.

ITALIAN STYLE SAUTEED CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND CREAM:

Large Chicken breast (split, skinned, & boned)
1/2 lb Mushrooms (caps only washed & sliced)
4 tbl Unsalted butter
4 tbl Olive oil*
Salt
Pepper mill
Granulated garlic
Granulated onion
Dry Italian seasoning
Dry basil
Dry oregano
1/4 C Dry Vermouth
2/3 C Heavy Cream
10" Non-stick skillet or saute pan

Cook mushrooms over medium heat in half the butter and OO until just soft. While they are cooking, season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and granulated onion & garlic. Remove to a warm bowl. Meanwhile season chicken on top with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and basil. Over same heat melt remaining butter in OO, and saute chicken top side down for six minutes, seasoning the bottom as the top. Turn and saute six more minutes. Remove chicken to a warm platter. Drain off fat through a fine sieve (*this is more than half total butter & OO), and return sieve contents to pan. Deglaze pan with Vermouth until it becomes a thick syrup. Add mushrooms and cream to pan, and cook until sauce thickens. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with oregano, and serve. Serves 2.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-17-2002).]

- winedope - 04-17-2002

IK- what type of mushrooms do you like to use for this dish?

- Innkeeper - 04-17-2002

Fresh white ones. Because of all else, don't think the wild ones would improve it much.

- vinman - 04-17-2002

Innkeeper,
Sounds simply wonderful! Will try tomorrow evening although will need to sub the wine. Think from your posts, I can find a worthy alternative!

- Botafogo - 04-18-2002

IK, would you mind if I used the above review and recipe in our POS and the Hot List??? With full attribution and a tout of this board as a source of info as well, of course.

Roberto

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2002

Go for it. You might check if Buckmeister agrees.

- winedope - 04-18-2002

thanks, IK. just printed this and will try it tomorrow. I have a nice Pinot Grigio I plan to try with it, unless I hear cries of dismay from you all. I also have a nice Macon Lugny white burgundy- think this would be a better choice? WD

- Botafogo - 04-19-2002

Not knowing which "nice Pinot Grigio" you mean I can only note that the sign we have now on the wine (which I want to replace with IK's post) says "Bored to tears with Pinot Grigio?"....

Roberto

But, seriously, any wine with any food is better than no wine.

- Innkeeper - 04-19-2002

W.D., don't know if those are your only choices, but if so I would go with the Maconnaise unless the PG is a huge one. You should not have a hard time finding a Vermentino in your area. You have many great wine stores. One I'm very familiar with is: Tanza Southway Liquors, 340 R.I. Avenue, Fall River, MA 02721. Tel: 508-673-6700. Regardless enjoy the poulet.

- winedope - 04-19-2002

thanks, Roberto and IK. When I said a nice PG, I meant one that I think tastes nice. It is San Angelo, by Banfi. Thinking about it now, think I will try both, since I have them to see the difference. Thanks for the tip on the wineshop, too, IK : ) PS- this PG is not huge but I enjoy it. I'll let you know the results

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 04-19-2002).]

- winedope - 04-21-2002

well, the white burgundy won hands down. I substituted baby 'bella mushrooms, since they were avaiable and add a little depth. great dish, IK. thanks for the recipe.