WineBoard
Italian Barbera - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Italian Barbera (/thread-7597.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-04-2000

1998 Maria Borio, Cascinacastle't, Barbera D'Asti. Bottle has a picture of Maria as a little girl sitting on a Vespa with three of her sisters. Despite that, the wine is still very nice. Starts with a burst of almost jammy plum fruit up front, with smooth tannin and acid in the middle, and a memorable finish. Matched with freshly made sweet Italian sausage, with sliced very ripe plum tomatoes covered with thin slices of freshly made buffalo mozzarella, sprinkled with basil, and lathered with vinaigrette. The wine married just as nicely with the tomatoes as with the sausage. Let's hear it for acid. Got the wine along with a couple of other selections at Vino in New York during our infamous visit there. It ran around $13.00.

- winecollector - 11-04-2000

I must say Innkeeper, I am not sure what I enjoy more- the description of the food you serve with your wines, or your wine tasting notes!

- RAD - 11-04-2000

Hey IK--

On my last visit to Vino, the sales guy there pointed out this wine to me, but I already had reached my budget, so had to pass. I'll add this one to the list--thanks!

And I second the point on your food descriptions!

RAD

- mrdutton - 11-04-2000

IK, just how the hell do you manage to get mozzarella-de-buffolo in Maine? Are you connected?

I ask for it around here and I get stared at............. and they just say that stuff is made from cow's milk.

- Innkeeper - 11-05-2000

Other than having leaking police blotters, Maine is a fairly hip place. Had to travel to the big town (Portland) to find that cheese though. We were in town for something else, so on the way home we checked out two obligatory stops. The first was Micucci's Italian Wholesale/Retail. There we picked up the cheese, the sausage, and a few other things including a nice looking Pinot Grigio. The other stop was the huge Portland Public Market (www.portlandmarket.com). There we picked up the tomatoes and several other things. My favorite vendor at the Market is Miranda's Vineyard. This time I had a nice chat with Holly Miranda the co-proprietor. She has an amazing amount of stuff in a very small space, so you almost have to ask for help. Holly is always happy to find exatly what you want. She found what I was looking for, but it cost $31.00 so I kept on looking. Did find a nice organic pinot noir, imported by our local organic wine importer, Chartrand of Rockland, ME.

- Thomas - 11-06-2000

A cheese shop at the corner of Bleecker and Cornelia (my home street now) offers just about every cheese known to the human race. Yesterday I bought Bishop's Gold: a soft, pungent delight produced from Buffalo milk.

Questions: isn't a cow a female bovine? Is buffalo bovine?; if so, then it is cow's milk--no?

- mrdutton - 11-06-2000

Foodie....... are you sure that by asking that question you want me to get on research kick and come back with the answer?????

Maybe we should wait for Roberto to answer this one for us.

But the short of it is, there is a dfference in the milk from a cow and from a buffalo cow.

- Thomas - 11-07-2000

Dutton, Roberto will have an answer only if the cow in question is Italian--tweek, tweek, Roberto; come out with guns blasting.

- mrdutton - 11-07-2000

Foodie,

Other than in NYC and apparently select shops in Portland, Maine the majority of mozzarella made or found in the US is from cow's milk.

Mainly in Italy is it made from buffalo milk (and in a few very select places in the US).

Finding well made, FRESH mozzarella (you know, the kind you find floating around in a bowl of water) is a blessing; finding some made from buffalo milk is akin to a miracle, as far as I am concerned.

But I need to find some, since I now have a bottle of Prosecco on the way to the house. I can imagine that it might go well with some fresh fruit, some freshly sliced proscuitto and some fresh mozzarella and maybe even a couple pieces of asiago.

Should I be off-base, no doubt Roberto will fire both barrels..............