WineBoard
An Afffinity towards Dijon Mustard - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: An Afffinity towards Dijon Mustard (/thread-754.html)

- WineCellar - 12-05-2007

anyone here enjoy Dijon Mustard? Grey Poupon Mustard perhaps?

- winoweenie - 12-05-2007

Love all mustards. Trader Joes Sweet & Hot a fav. WW

- Innkeeper - 12-05-2007

We use Roland Extra Strong. Love it!

- Kcwhippet - 12-05-2007

I wouldn't call Grey Poupon a real Dijon mustard, mainly because it's made by Kraft Foods. It's not from France. That said, I like the Maille Dijons (actually from Dijon), both the smooth and the seeded.

- VouvrayHead - 12-06-2007

Read a blind taste test by a bunch of foodies who all swore that maille was their fave, and it came in last or 2nd last on every ballot... haven't tried this test myself yet, but interesting information!
Grey Poupon did better than expected and some small producers were all across the board.
As wine people we all know how easy it is to let expectations affect reception!

- Kcwhippet - 12-06-2007

Interesting. The main reason I don't like the Grey Poupon is that it's so one dimensional in a way I find hard to describe. I find the texture is too homogeneous - not enough variation to be interesting, and the color is without variation. When I taste it, I get this "Yeah, so" feeling. Maille, on the other hand, I find more interesting because the taste is more piquant and the texture is varied - probably because of the differences in the particle size of the mustard seeds.

- wdonovan - 12-06-2007

Temeraire.

- wdonovan - 12-06-2007

Out of curiosity... This is the second forum I've seen you post the Grey Poupon question and I notice that in both you say "I work with Grey Poupon". Pardon my inquisitiveness but that sounds so intentionally vague. What is "work with"? Spreading it, selling it, using it as an art medium? Having a business associate named "Grey Poupon"?
Just curious.

- WineCellar - 12-07-2007

thats very interesting Vouvray. do you have the link to that story. would love to read that.

yeah. i've never tried Maille Dijons. just been used to Grey Poupon Mustard for awhile. though i will say that there 3 new flavors from Grey Poupon Mustard that are different in texture and taste. Theres a flavor called Harvest Coarse Ground and its got more of a hearty texture due to their being whole mustard seeds. Other flavors like Hearty Spicy has a bolder taste and Savory Honey has a taste with clover honey and spices in the mixtures. The variety is there now and it seems to be getting a good reception so far as Harvest Coarse won the gold and hearty Spicy the bronze at the napa valley mustard fest in 07. definitely worth trying Grey Poupon Mustard once again.

[This message has been edited by WineCellar (edited 12-07-2007).]

- Drew - 12-07-2007

Where in his post does he say he works with Grey Poupon?

Drew

- VouvrayHead - 12-07-2007

WineCellar, you a MustardSeller?

I think the article was in cook's illustrated, who are pretty reliable as far as not going to be bought by product...

- Kcwhippet - 12-08-2007

Drew,

He has the same post over on WCWN, and in his profile there it says "I work with Grey Poupon."

- wdonovan - 12-20-2007

"Where in his post does he say he works with Grey Poupon?

Drew"

Click on his bio.

- mapsokardu - 12-20-2007

Grey Poupon. Nice guy, but a little bit of him goes a long way.

[This message has been edited by team (edited 12-20-2007).]

- mrdutton - 01-06-2008

I like mustard.............. French's Yellow has its uses just as does a good, real, French Dijon. Then there is honey-mustard, and mustard with horseradish.

When I am making a dressing or an aioli, it really doesn't seem to care if the Dijon came from Kraft or if it came from France.

I especially like to have some yellow mustard on my bacon and egg sandwich!