WineBoard
Suggestions for other Traditional Italian Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Suggestions for other Traditional Italian Wines (/thread-7508.html)

- barnesy - 11-07-2000

I will be making a trip into Boise next week, which means to the wine shops. I am looking to try something different. I have been exploring France and would now like to explore Italy a bit more. I have had several different Chiantis and thoroughly enjoy them. The french wines I have tried have been softer reds. I am looking for something a little "beefier" than the chianti is, but not too much. Any and all suggestions are welcome. My price range is 15 or under, but if you have one around 20 that is really special, I will take it into consideration. Thank you in advance,

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 11-07-2000

A short but decisive step up from Chianti is Rosso Di Montalcino. You should be able to find a good one between $18 - $20. A more radical move in another direction would be a Nebbiolo D'Alba. Again, you should be able to find one in your price range. On a recent trip to our Boise, Portland, last Friday, the only one we could find cost $31.00! They can be had for around $10.00 elsewhere. Good luck.

- mrdutton - 11-07-2000

You might also find that you'd enjoy a good Montepulchiano D'Abbruzo (God and Roberto please forgive me my poor spelling). You can find quite good ones in the $20.00 to 40.00 dollar price range.

- winecollector - 11-07-2000

If you can find anything from Vietti, and I mean anything, buy it!

- winepoppi - 11-08-2000

You might also be interested in trying an Allegrini from the Verona area. They are generally full-bodied and Rhone-like. One that I've recently tried is the 1997 Palazzo Della Torre, which I paid $13.99. Another is the 1997 La Grola, which I paid $18.99. Robert Parker gave them both 90 points.

- Thomas - 11-08-2000

Amarone; Gatinnara; Salice Salentino; Primitivo; Merlot from Friuli; Refosco; and a thousand more.

- Botafogo - 11-09-2000

Aglianico!!!! The Varietal of Real Men, (when they can't get any Nero d'Avola)

PS: I have just put to press our largest catalog ever with twenty pages of ten point type, hundreds of wines, one Chardonnay (without bubbles anyway!) and no Merlot. If anyone would like to get one deliverd by a uniformed representative of whichever idiot finally gets declared President, e-mail me.

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 11-09-2000).]

- Thomas - 11-10-2000

What is the uniformed guard delivering: the catalog or the wines?

- winoweenie - 11-10-2000

Tanks a whale Boto-man, My stuff was thrown in the rwuck by two day-laborers wif` enuf tatoos to turn out the L.A Times and have type left over. Happy Turkey. WW

- Botafogo - 11-10-2000

Verne, MY day laborers have labored for me for four, five and six years respectively and know more about wine than most of the people who sell it to us. AND they are bilingual (quatrolingual in one case) which is a lot more than I can say for most of the American College Grads who come in looking for work these days. Viva Azatlan Norte!

I will assume you are kidding (you always are) but show me another store that took a Mexican immigrant sales clerk to Italy on a buying trip........

Roberto

- winoweenie - 11-11-2000

Roberto, Roberto, Roberto! You`se know full-weel this was jesting of the highest ( or lowest ) sort. I`ve been more than impressed with the courtesy, acuteness, friendliness, and ability of all your help. He wouldn`t even let me throw out my own trash from the truck and was even trying to help arrange the samples for me. Do you think there`s any chance we can keep the election the way it is and put McCain in as acting? winoweenie