WineBoard
LE BOCCE - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: LE BOCCE (/thread-7505.html)

- Cadell - 09-01-2001

I decided to try something different last night from the merlot and zin's that have been sofar the majority of this newbie's trials and bought a bottle of 99 LE BOCCE chianti.

I actually didn't plan on buying it actually went in to purchase and try a CAB(at$12 not to sure how good a deal I got) but when I arived at the wine shop, the woman there had just opened a bottle, and after having a pleasant discussion with her, she offered me a glass and I must say it was rather pleasant so I purchased a bottle.

I haven't really gotten to the point of being able to identify the types of individual flavors real well yet but it had a very nice overall flavor( I had it with a nice porterhouse, not sure if they are considered a pair, but they went well together according to my taste buds).

I think I will go back this weekend and purchase another bottle of chianti, any thoughts on which I should try next? I will be lightin the BBQ again tomorrow so it will go with more than likely either another porterhouse or veal with a light rub in of pepper and garlic.

C

- hotwine - 09-01-2001

Cadell, a porterhouse and veal are quite different in their pairings with wines. Although the cuts come from the same critter, there's a big age difference between them, in that veal is from milk-fed, unweened calf, and a porterhouse is a large T-bone from a very mature animal. Although the BBQ pit will tend to equalize them, there are still differences in both flavor and texture of the beef to deal with. The veal calls for a rather delicate wine, like a German or Alsatian Riesling, due to the delicate sauces that are frequently served with it, whereas the steak needs a robust red. A Chianti (Sangiovese) can be used with the porterhouse, but Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah (especially a Rhone) are more traditional, as is a cru Beaujolais. If you want to stay with Chianti, that's OK, but at least try a Chianti Classico with the steak; it has more elegant nuances than the plain ol' Chianti, which can scrape the enamel right off your teeth in some versions. Check the Best Buys thread for some very recent notes on bargain Merlot and Cotes du Rhone (CdR).

Glad you're thinking BEEF, a subject dear to my heart.....

- Innkeeper - 09-01-2001

They have had three excellent vintages in a row, so it is hard to find a bad one. One thing about foreign wine in general and Italian Wine in particular, is that more and more is being brought in by small regional importers, rather than the big guys. Since you have been reading up on the Board, you may have noticed a disparaging remark or two about the big guys. The problem with the little guys is that the Chianti you find in California may not be the same as what I find in Maine. That is why I buy Italian Wine from Roberto on the Left Coast and Foodie on the East Coast. I also buy from Convito Italiano in Chicago.

- Thomas - 09-01-2001

Could not have said it better. Le Bocce, heh. The last time I looked Bocce referred to a bowling ball game played on sand, the object of which was to roll balls close enough to a designated target ball. Used to watch the old neighborhood men who played it argue for hours over an inch one way or the other.

The best part of their day, and mine, was of course the gallon of Chianti that was always a part of the game. Perhaps the producer of that Chianti you had knows all this.

- Cadell - 09-01-2001

Good point, I guess I didn't really think of the different regional buyers....and as to what to drink with the different cuts of meat, guess I'll wait til after I go to the butcher and see what looks the best today and go from there.

C

- Drew - 09-01-2001

In northeast Baltimore, in a park named Birdic, a group of elder Italian men would gather every weekend to play Bocce, until.....they got robbed at gunpoint. This location has the best Bocce court in the city, even better than Little Italy in the downtown section. The court was meticulously groomed, very level and fast. Well, the men wouldn’t play as long in the park as they were scared that they would be robbed again so I started showing up on weekends, in plainclothes with a marked police vehicle and would sit, watch and joke with them. After several weeks they invited me to play, had no idea of the rules and no talent...well we had lots of fun. Soon I learned the rules and I beat them once, never again, and had to return off duty as they always brought homemade wine to drink as they play, and they won't take no for an answer, and always with real wine glasses, you know the small ones that grace most Italian tables. The wine was great and I still show up on some weekends and the experience is wonderful.

Drew

- winoweenie - 09-01-2001

Great story Drew, and Foodie the greatest Bocche ball surfaces in the whole-wide are at Sun City West rite here in the valley. It's an artificial grass product called " Putting Green " that we use also on their lil' ole' putt-putts. Almost brings tears to the old orbs eh? WW ( Our slogan is " If'n it grows, we'uns can make it outta' olefin ")

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 09-02-2001).]

- Thomas - 09-02-2001

the wine is a prerequisite to playing the game, Drew.

- hotwine - 09-02-2001

That IS a nice story, Drew.
I once knew an old gent who played that game, which he called "Bocceball", every Saturday. It seemed to be almost like a short visit home for him. Very nice.

- Drew - 09-02-2001

No doubt, foodie, they consume it with great passion....most of it is homemade. I learn a lot from these gentle men and appreciate the fact that they allow me in their inner circle.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 09-02-2001

Congratulations Drew, and you did on a post that made me cry.

- Thomas - 09-03-2001

Drew, I was thinking how times have changed. In my old Brooklyn neighborhood nobody in his right (or wrong) mind would think of attacking a few old Italian men in a park. In fact, anyone who came into the neighborhood unannounced was found out in seconds and firmly persuaded to leave.

Granted, it was a gangster holding, and a few acts of protection were not only illegal but violent.Yet,those of us who lived there knew and protected one another. As a youngster I couldn't do anything wrong (not that I did) without some grandma telling my ma. Bocce was played at all hours of the day and night, as was stickball and ring a leavio (related to Livio Felluga?)

- Drew - 09-03-2001

This country is full of predators. One week before the robbery the "low lifes" disrupted a bocce match by throwing the balls around and jumping in the court...intimidating tactics. The following week they returned, with guns, to rob these dangerous 7 men, 68 to 85 years of age. Just makes you want to, Badda bing...badda, BOOM!

Drew

- RAD - 09-03-2001

Amen to that, Drew.

RAD

- Thomas - 09-03-2001

Drew, sounds like you wnet out of your way to ensure these men a reasonable life and that is a great thing. Sometimes I wish for the chance to make that kind of impact on the world--nice going.

- hotwine - 09-04-2001

Nice going indeed, Drew. Thanks!

- wondersofwine - 09-04-2001

The older gentlemen also play Bocce in a park area in Monterey, CA near the Bay. I've watched them at times and wondered if some were old enough to have been out on the sardine boats before the industry petered out. Hats off to you, Drew--a white hat for a good guy.

- Drew - 09-04-2001

Ok, thanks all, but I'm completely embarrassed now. I did what I did cause it pisses me off that lawless cretins crawl on this earth! BTW, the vermin were arrested 1 week later.

Drew