WineBoard
2000 Le Salette Ca'Carnocchio - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Le Salette Ca'Carnocchio (/thread-7470.html)

- Georgie - 04-18-2005

Valpolicella Classico Superiore
This is a very serious Valpolicella! Dark cherry red, more dry than I expected, tasted dried fruit, maybe cherries or raisins? Although I didn't dislike this, I think I prefer a fruitier wine than this one. Had it with Italian fare for my birthday dinner. Great BYOB restaurant. ALC 14% BV, $29.00

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 04-18-2005).]

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2005

Sounds lovely. Happy Birthday. Sound like it may have been a Ripasso. Many Valpolicella Classico Superiores are. That would account for the raisins.

- hotwine - 04-18-2005

That's what I would guess, too.... and a Ripasso would have needed breathing time, often not available in a restaurant setting.

Happy b-day, kid!

- Georgie - 04-18-2005

Would it say Ripasso on the bottle? The wine guy who sold it to me explained that this wine was made in the style of an amarone but not aged as long and costs about half the price. It's true, it didn't have any breathing time. Would that have mellowed it out some?

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2005

It doesn't always say it, and a VCS is not always a Ripasso. From what wine guy said, it probably was. A Ripasso is a Valpolicella that has been refermented over the pomace of an Amarone. The price is usually somewhere inbetween the two; more accurately one or two price points ($5 increments) above a journeyman Valpolicella by the same maker.

- hotwine - 04-18-2005

The word Ripasso on the label is not obligatory for the style, but drying of the grapes (accounting for the raisin note) is what a Ripasso is all about.... that's the process. See the wine and its producers at http://www.vintagesonline.com/VINTAGESNewsletter-92904.htm.

Sounds like a winner! And yes, air-time would have made a big difference. Since it was BYOB, you might have poured it when you arrived, and let the wine breathe in the glasses while waiting for the food to arrive. That would only give it half an hour (in most places), but better than nothing. At least a full hour would be better IMHO. Next time.

(I haven't figured out how to gracefully postpone being served while waiting for a wine to open up. Tough to tell a waiter to go away, when he's wanting to turn your table over to the next customers as soon as possible.)

- Georgie - 04-18-2005

Thank you both for all the info. I'm learning. Actually, I probably could have waited at least the half hour with the wine. We went very early and there was no rush for tables. I'm so happy to have found this little place. Apparently it's a well-kept secret around these parts. The only way I knew about it, is that it shares the building with the pool I go to every morning. It's in the middle of an industrial park and does a huge lunch business. I have never seen any ads for it, and there's no sign out on the highway, but now that I'm mentioning it to people, I get "Oh yeah, I've eaten there. I love that place!" We'll be back, and I'll let the wine breathe awhile!

- Thomas - 04-18-2005

Georgie,

With aging of one year and a minimum alcohol level of 12%, Valpolicella can be labeled Superiore. If the grapes come from the oldest production area, the wine can be described as Classico.

The way I understand it, Ripasso is a Valpolicella red wine that's been fermented on the skins of a previously produced Amarone, so that the former picks up many of the qualities of the latter.

- Georgie - 04-18-2005

If I understand things correctly, I'd probably prefer a lighter Valpolicella and should stay away from a Superiore, is that right? I don't want it to be really wimpy, but this was a little too much for me.

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2005

I'm not saying that Ripassos don't go with food; in certain cases they go fine. However, I much prefer them for afternoon quaffing with friends or relatives.

- Thomas - 04-18-2005

See if you can find Monte Tondo 2002 Valpolicella--outstanding product.

- Georgie - 04-18-2005

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it.