WineBoard
WHO KNOWS ABOUT "ROSSO VERONESE"? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: WHO KNOWS ABOUT "ROSSO VERONESE"? (/thread-7451.html)

- ting - 05-17-2001

does anybody know about this wine? its by FABIANO...

- Innkeeper - 05-17-2001

There are very few excellent wines from this region, and many of those these days are white. Most of the rest is plonk. This one doth not ring any bells. Ergo.........

- Botafogo - 05-17-2001

"Rosso Veronese" is a catch-all IGT (indicaton of geographical tipicity) for new style wines not cleaving to the DOC regs, sort of Verona's answer to "Super" Tuscans. This would cover Allegrini's La Poja and some of Quintarelli's experiments but also any crap Merlot that Bolla chooses to market that way so, as always, the producer is the most important thing.

Roberto

- Botafogo - 05-18-2001

>> There are very few excellent wines from this region, and many of those these days are
white<<

Hungh?!?!?!? Verona leads the entire nation in DOC wine production and this includes Amarone, Valpolicella, Bardolino, Soave, Bianco di Custoza and "Rosso e Bianco Veronese". LOTS of GREAT wines and most of them are red.

Roberto

- ting - 05-18-2001

what do you mean by DOC and IGT? sorry guys I'm not into technical stuff since its not really that serious here in the Philippines, how i wish soon it will be like your countries. Anything you can recommend of the same kind.

[This message has been edited by ting (edited 05-17-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2001

As far a what reaches this shore, and I'm sure the Philippine shore, only a few of the above are worth the power to blow them to hell. Admittedly the Amarone has a higher batting average than the others. Many (not most) of the better recent efforts have been among the whites.

Ting a DOC is a government approved appellation. An IGT is something the winery invents when then want to make something that is out of bounds with the DOC.

- Botafogo - 05-18-2001

Well, almost: an IGT is an EEC pan-national designation for a wine that is typical of the zone NOW as opposed to the DOC and DOCGs which reflect longstanding traditional styles. So, if Allegrini decides to put some Syrah in the Palazzo della Torre Ripasso Valpolicella (a DOC) it has to now be labled as Rosso Veronese IGT but the really important part is still the Allegrini (the producer).

I am sorry if the bulk of Veronese wines in Maine is crap but if Fabiano (a quite good producer) is getting to the PI then maybe you need to scout around a little more IK as this zone has led the entire nation of Italy in improvement in the AVERAGE quality for the last ten years. It pains me to say this but even the Bolla stuff is not BAD anymore, it just isn't great and they spend to much of YOUR money on marketing. There are dozens of very high quality producers available in the US, Canada, Japan and even Brasil: Zenato, Allegrini, Bertani, Masi Boscaini, Righetti, Guerrieri Rizzardi, Speri and Tomassi are widely distributed and many smaller producers are regionally available. Dal Forno and Quintarelli are among the most sought after wines in the world and all for RED wines. As for the PI, I have no idea of the market....good rum and pretty girls though!

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 05-18-2001).]

- ting - 05-18-2001

well, when it comes to RUM we got plenty of it here, its like part of everyday life here. Wines are catching up for the past 2 years... I'm proud to say that I have influnced my relatives and friends to appreciate wines. Good research of the background of wines really helps. Still I try to consult you guys coz I got less experience with wines. I need to try more to be able to distinguish each characteristic. I have tried plenty of Italian wines lately mostly by Fabiano since there are only 2 suppliers of wines present here in my place. Anybody want to be my partner in introducing more wines here?