WineBoard
Looking for new everyday drinkers specifically from Italy..... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for new everyday drinkers specifically from Italy..... (/thread-7440.html)

- winecollector - 01-03-2001

I'm looking to find some new "worthy" everyday drinkers for under $10 a bottle from Italy, for myself, as well as for introducing at upcoming wine tastings later this month. My personal current everyday drinkers include Gabbiano Chianti ($8), Fossi Rosso non-vintage ($6), and La Sera Barbera ($7), all very enjoyable wines for the money. I'm mainly interested in finding wines that are of those three types for now, Chianti's or Chianti Classico's, Barbara's, and Rosso's or Rosso Riserva's. Wines can be either vintage or non-vintage. Please let me know if you guys have any favorites I should know about, that are worthy of opening for 20 to 30 seasoned palates. Thanks in advance for your help, WC

- hotwine - 01-03-2001

Two good value Chianti Classicos:
Piccini 1998, $8.99 (There's a plain ole Chianti by Piccini, but it's not nearly as good as the Classico)
Cantina di Montalcino 1996, $9.99.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 01-03-2001).]

- Botafogo - 01-03-2001

Go SOUTH young man!!!! Check out axamples of

Ciro
Aglianico del Vulture
Primitivo di Manduria
Rosso Conero
Falernum di Massico
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
anything from Sicilia

You will not be dissapointed, Roberto

- Drew - 01-03-2001

Winecollector, I've enjoyed the 97' Villa Puccini Toscana, 90% Sangiovese and 10% Merlot. $7.99 here in Bay country.

Drew

- Thomas - 01-03-2001

I'm with Roberto--go south.

Can I get that valet job now?

- winecollector - 01-04-2001

Roberto- The first time I had the Ciro Rosso Riserva was the 90' vintage, and it was excellent, even beyond belief. Ever since, have been very disappointed with it, specifically the 91's and the 95's, of which I still have 2 bottles. I also buy Montepulciano d'Abruzzo from time to time for company, specifically the Dragani, about $6 a bottle. Our tasting we have coming up in West Virginia though, will not be tasting wines of these other types yet. I will be looking into your suggestions, as well as Drew's and Hotwine's. Thanks guys! Any other suggestions will be appreciated as well.

- mrdutton - 01-04-2001

WW, try the following from Roberto's place:

Picchioni Oltrepo Pavese DOC "Rosso d'Asia", 1998 at $21.00 (He sent me a bottle gratis because another bottle I purchased had undergone some undesired secondary fermentation.) This is 50% Barbera with a mix of Pinot Noir, Vespolina, Croatina and olv vine wild card varieties - WW it was very nice stuff!!

Picchioni Buttafuoco Oltrepo Pavese DOC "Vigna Riva Bianca" 1997 at $27.00. A blend of Barbera, Vespolina and Croatina from old vines with a southwest exposure, macerated three weeks on the skins then fermented and aged in barriques - WW it was just superb - luverly stuff.

But since you are looking for wines less than or around $10.00, don't tell anyone you bought these ones also!!! GRIN!!

- Botafogo - 01-04-2001

Wine Collector, WHICH Ciro are you talking about? Librandi, San Francesco, Enotria, Caparra, some other producer?

- winecollector - 01-06-2001

I believe it was the Librandi San Felice. Label was all green, except for the lettering.