WineBoard
'01 Tobin James Refosco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: '01 Tobin James Refosco (/thread-7359.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-15-2006

2001 Tobin James, Silver Reserve, Paso Robles, Refosco ($38 list, came in spring ’04 shipment). Alcohol level: 15.3%. It was decanted 30 minutes and then spent 15 minutes in the glass before the first taste. It gives the eye a very dark purply red color. A ton or so of very ripe fruit hits the nose and tongue tip. Ripe stone fruit including plums and peaches with a strong hint of almond add the complexity with the two vineyard Paso dirt that course the palate. The finish lingers and lingers. Despite the alcohol level, it was not hot at all. We matched it with the second night of greatly modified Paula Peck’s Greek Beef Stew, and rolls.

GREEK BEEF STEW:

3 lbs Lean chuck
4 Medium potatoes
12 oz Baby carrots
12 oz Mushrooms caps only
1 T Tomato paste
1/3 C Chopped parsley
2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 T Dry minced onion
2 tsp Lawry salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Penseys’ Bay Leaf seasoning
1 tsp Granulated onion (onion powder)
1 tsp Splenda/Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Dry oregano
¾ C Beef stock or bullion

Cut meat into bite size pieces (if not stew size to begin with). Peel potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. Cut mushroom caps half or into quarters depending on size. Add all with carrots to a 4 quart Dutch oven with cover. Add tomato paste, parsley, garlic, and minced onion. Mix remained herbs and spices together and sprinkle into pot. Toss all together with hands. Pour stock into pot. Cover and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 2 ½ hours, stirring about halfway though. Sprinkle with dry parsley leaves and serve. Recipe makes four to six servings.

- Innkeeper - 11-16-2006

Had the other half with the remaining stew at lunch today. Just super.

- Innkeeper - 09-05-2009

We popped the 2004 tonight that came with the fall '06 shipment. This time it was the James Gang Reserve, with 14.8% alcohol, and a price tag retail of $48.

I cannot improve of the '01 TN; it tasted almost exactly the same. It is definitely a wine worth waiting for.

We matched it with sliced charcoal broiled sirloin steak cooked over mesquite chips, eggplant salad, and corn of the cob. It was a simply wonderful Labor Day Weekend meal.

- hotwine - 09-05-2009

It sure sounds nice, IK!

- Innkeeper - 08-30-2010

We popped the 2005 tonight that came with the fall ’07 shipment. It carried a list price of $48 and an alcohol level of 14.8%. This was quite a mouthful.

The color was as close to black as I have ever seen in a wine. This was not ominous; after five years there was still a lot of both red and black fruit on the nose and upfront. There was plenty of more fruit to complete the balance in the middle, along with just the right amount of acid and ph. The tannin was a smooth as the proverbial baby’s bum. The finish rang 5 bells before we stopped counting.

We matched it with lamb leg steaks that were marinated in our mint-lemon-EVOO mayonnaise; roasted baby Yukons; and a bowlful of our own Summer Golds with chopped basil leaves and a little vinaigrette.

A one day deferred birthday dinner for my true love. Mmmmmm good!

- wondersofwine - 08-31-2010

Sounds yummy, IK.

- Innkeeper - 06-19-2012

Popped the 2007 tonight. It came in the Spring 2010 shipment. This Refosco was dark, rich, and dense with rustic tones on the nose, tongue, and palate. The once big tannic structure was as smooth as a baby’s you know what. The finish was not harsh, but smoothly rustic.

We matched it with two inch thick lamb loin chops seasoned with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic, and grilled over charcoal and pecan chips; with rice pilaf and English peas as sides. This was our “Husband’s Day Dinner and it was fantastic.

- Thomas - 06-19-2012

This one sounds like a winner.

It is soooo difficult to find in the U.S. a Refosco produced in its main home, Friuli Venezia Giulia.

'08 Tobin James Refosco - Innkeeper - 05-04-2013

Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Refosco. This year's was as good as ever and continues their trend to make it smooth yet still rustic. We matched it with lamb steaks marinated in mint, lemon, and EVOO mayonnaise; and grilled over charcoal and wild cherry chips, with glazed carrots, and baked potato strips on the side. Wonderful!

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Kcwhippet - 05-04-2013

Thomas, We have 3 in the shop. Don't ask which ones cause I don't remember and I'm not back in till Tues.

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Thomas - 05-05-2013

Bob:

A few years ago, Refosco started to make more of an appearance. Maybe the fact that it is produced in California gave it the American-market boost. Of course, there's more than one Refosco clone, and that will soon become the "cult" conversation.

When we see more Schiopettino in the U.S. it will mean that this country has arrived...

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Thomas - 05-05-2013

I'm unsure what to think of Tobin James' success with Refosco, Lagrein, et al. On one hand, I love those varieties and love knowing that they are available and that a California producer can do them justice, since each is a cool climate red; on the other hand, I am a purist and want the real thing, from Northeastern Italy.

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Kcwhippet - 05-05-2013

We had a Bressan Schiopettino, but it was a real hand sell at $46. We've been out for about a month. I also got some from Roberto years ago.

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Thomas - 05-06-2013

Oh yes, I remember trying to sell Schiopettino at those prices. Not an easy task.

I also remember having the wine in its original location. It's not cheap in Friuli, but it's still quite a reduced price from what we have to pay for it here.

I worry that the climate and winemaking practices in California will get people to thinking that these reds are supposed to be big, alcoholic fruit bombs. They are not.

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - Innkeeper - 10-18-2014

We popped the '09 tonight. It was as lovely as ever. We matched it again with grilled loin lamb chops, with sides of eggplant salad and sliced tomatoes. Yum!

RE: '01 Tobin James Refosco - TheEngineer - 10-21-2014

I was moving some stuff around my cellar last night and found one of these. Will try soon.