WineBoard
Again!!! NO posts on the largest Producer??? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Again!!! NO posts on the largest Producer??? (/thread-7352.html)

- Botafogo - 01-02-1999

Well, it seems I get to kick off the new board on the largest and most diverse wine producing area in the world: Italia!

My biggest suggestion for all members is to turn over a new leaf for 1999, forget about Brunello, Barolo, Barbaresco and Super Tuscans and buy TWICE as much wine of equal quality from other zones, varietals and producers for the same money. Nominations include:

Varietal of the Future: Aglianico, South Central Italy's answer to Syrah, making huge gutsy, food friendly wines of amazing value.

Zone of the Future: Valtellina, in the northernmost mountains of Lombardia, is turning out world class wines based on Nebbiolo (the Barolo Varietal) but made from dried grapes in the manner of Amarone. These wines are called Sfurzato. (Jerry, did you open the Cinque Stelle?)

Producer of the Future: Illuminati, in Abruzzo. Dino is stretching the bounds of traditional styles but using traditional varieties, NOT Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet like all the hacks in the north.

Salute, Roberto

- Woodman - 01-02-1999

Roberto, we've been up and running for less than 24 hours, so there hasn't been much opportunity. Besides, we needed you to come in and do the Italian thing.

- Botafogo - 01-02-1999

Fair enough, but even so, if you started with the question "Which of these folders has the most wines in the market and perhaps need the most explication?", this would be the first folder to have ANY input, (GGG!!!)

Wood, I'm used to the denial of the reality of Enotria, it is often based in information overload and the inability (read refusal) of many folks with a "classification based" collector mentality to deal with actual diversity. Much the same as "World Music" which basically means to most people "anything not in English or in 4/4 time" which AGAIN is most of the music in the world.

Ciao, Roberto

PS: anyone going to VinItaly this year?

- Jerry D Mead - 01-02-1999

Roberto...I have not tried the wine...waiting to share it with a couple of friends. You indicated it was special and I like to share special.

JDM

- SteveZ - 01-02-1999

Roberto,

With respect to your recomendations on Italian wines: Can you give a number of wines with the full names and importers, along with any other info to be able to help track them down. Since I know so little about them, I have a tough time conveying the wines to the wine retailers, and they seem to be as bad as me about knowing anything about them. I seem to like some of the white for their freshness, like Arneis.

The more info, the better [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 01-03-1999

Steve, you should be able to get D'Angelo and Di Majo Norante Aglianicos in NJ, they are imported through WINEBOW. Illuminati is imported by Tricana, also based in your zone. The only wines from the Valtellina with any real distribution are those of Nino Negri, imported by Prestige Wines (they also have Mezzacorona, that should clue off your retailer).

Salute, Roberto

- Ashby Lawson - 01-03-1999

Righto, Roberto! Its been a while, but the Nino Negri Grumello was a favorite of mine years ago. I can't justify high-priced Tuscan or Piedmont big-boys when I can get Di Majo Norante Ramitello, Umani Ronchi Rosso Conero, any Valpolicella Ripasso, etc. for peanuts.

- Ashby Lawson - 01-03-1999

Righto, Roberto! Its been a while, but the Nino Negri Grumello was a favorite of mine years ago. I can't justify high-priced Tuscan or Piedmont big-boys when I can get Di Majo Norante Ramitello, Umani Ronchi Rosso Conero, any Valpolicella Ripasso, etc. for peanuts.

- misterjive - 01-29-1999

I nearly forgot--what Sangiovetos (is that with an "e" Mister Quayle, or should I just be Italian and use an "i"?) have you folks out in cyberspace seen and sipped?

- Jason - 01-29-1999

The wines of Lombardi that you speak of are great. Nino Negri has a new Sfursat out that is about half the price of Sfursat 5 and is quite good.

- vitis - 01-29-1999

Recently I tried the 94 Badia Coltibuono Sangioveto, and found it to be quite rich and full considering the vintage.
The wine had deep ruby, if not purple color, with an amazing nose. Not overly oaked, with a firm tannic backbone, it showed long term promise. The full bodied style, complemented by good acidity made for a nice drink.

- misterjive - 02-01-1999

Thanks for the tip, Vitis. Now if only I could find a bottle of aforementioned Badia from '95!!!