WineBoard
Your thoughts please....Barbera - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Your thoughts please....Barbera (/thread-7293.html)

- Dogwalker - 04-05-2000

In the midst of my world wine tour (novice way of saying I don't know one from another)I opened a bottle of BARBERA D'ALBA 1996 from PIRA.
Having never tried this type before my first impressions was that it had a fresh earthy type of aroma. The taste was crisp. I only tried a small taste but look forward to having more.
I would be interested in anyones thoughts on this type of wine.
Thanks, Chuck

- Bucko - 04-05-2000

Barbera can be a real winner with pasta and red sauce dishes. I love the crisp acidity and earthy flavors. The variety is becoming more popular in S. CA -- some pretty decent ones coming from there.

Bucko

- Bucko - 04-05-2000

And BTW, it is nice to see people such as yourself being adventurous and exploring the various varietals instead of sticking to Cab/Chard/Merlot, a real YAWN!!

Bucko

- Scoop - 04-06-2000

Barbera is a great, versatile food companion (the acidity, as noted), and 1997 was a great vintage in the Piedmont for the grape. A personal favorite winery: Vietti (across the entire price range) and its wonderful, earthy wines. Worth a try if you can find them.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Dogwalker - 04-06-2000

I got a winner!
I just had my first full glass of Barbera and I was VERY pleased.
It's a bottle of Italian BARBERA D'Alba produced by PIRA, vintage 1996. The cost was $14.95 on sale from $18.95.
The aroma as I said last night reminded me of "wet, freshly turned rich earth". I was very surprized how fresh this aroma was.
The taste was smooth, polite and very crisp. I have'nt tried it with any food, but enjoyed having a glass of it while engrossed with reading my lastest novel.
I am realy pleased with this wine and will make sure to get another bottle and also try other brands.
Also, thanks for input.
Regards, Chuck

- Thomas - 04-07-2000

Dogwalker, welcome to the world of Italian wines, a world that is changing and is so vast you can spend a lifetime in it.

To Bucko, you are correct about Barbera, but why are you pushing the California version when there are scores of good originals? Are you one of "dem dare Mercan chauvinists?" The California Barbera, though good, usually are quite different from the Piemonte style.

- Bucko - 04-07-2000

I actually prefer the CA versions due to their fruitiness, but then again, I do not have wide exposure to the Italian versions.

Bucko

- Thomas - 04-07-2000

Since the Italian Barbera came first, I like to think of what California does with the grape as "their version."

Anyway, open up that wallet, Bucko, spend some money on the real thing. And next year, spend some money on an airplane ticket to VinItaly, where you can explore Italian wine in a spectacular venue.

- Dogwalker - 04-07-2000

I don't know about going to Italy, but My wife and I are going to Disney World next month for our 25th wedding aniv. I have made reservations at the California Grill (17th floor of contemp. hotel). They are reputed to have an outstanding wine list. I am looking forward to see how many of the ones you guys have talked about that they may have.
My daughter doesn't know why her mother would want to go to Disney World, she's spent the last 25 years with GOOFY.

[This message has been edited by Dogwalker (edited 04-07-2000).]

- Thomas - 04-08-2000

Hey Dogwalker, I just came back from Italy last week. Got a flight on Continental, roundtrip to Milan from Newark--$370.

I will bet you anything that the food I ate and the wines I consumed (not to mention the marvelous wine festival in Verona that I attended) beats a visit to DisneyLand, DisneyWorld or even a night with Michael Eisner--if that is your wont!!!

As for the food, no need to compare--the Big Mouse can't even begin to contemplate playing in the same league.

In all, five days: airfare, hotel, food, entry and transportation to the fair cost about $1300.

- Bucko - 04-08-2000

There you go, Foodie! Trying to let the moths out of my wallet again. I have never gone, but hear that Vin Italy is well worth the trip. Is it always held in one city? If so, which one?

Bucko

- Thomas - 04-10-2000

Bucko, VinItaly is held in Verona, usually during the last week in March, first weekend in April. It is a fantastically well-organized and well-respected fair. Although it is Italian wine oriented, wines from other countries make an appearance, even some California.

The event also hosts a separate olive oil festival within the fair grounds.

Why don't members on this board get together next year to make the trip? The guy I buy my tickets through is an Italian representative who lives in New York. He puts together a great package for groups, and he is a fine fellow to boot.

Are those moths I see coming out of your back pocket????

- cellarmate - 04-10-2000

Sounds like fun. I'm tempted, put me on the emailing list if you decide to do it! davefinley@earthlink.net

[This message has been edited by cellarmate (edited 04-10-2000).]

- misterjive - 04-20-2000

Barbera can be delicious, and at its best, it is bright and zesty and has a tang to the finish that is caused by both the acid and the fruit. Some people identify this tanginess with carbonation, but in Barbera, the Italians sometimes strive for just such a tang to the tastebuds. I don't experience this quality in California-grown Barbera. In California Barberas, of which there are many fine examples (try Fife!!!), the fruit comes to the fore, and they can be downright jammy. In the classic Italian examples, the Barbera of Asti and Alba has a fine acid to cut through oil and garlic, and a bright berry or cherry fruit that serves a counterpoint for spicy tomato-based sauces. Finally, Italian Barbera is all the more food-friendly for not being as heavy as many California Cabs and Merlots.