WineBoard
Martinelli Pinots - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Martinelli Pinots (/thread-7256.html)

- RAD - 05-19-2002

I found, somewhat surprisingly, that there are very few posts on Martinelli here (I did a search and found 5).

I have fairly recently become a very big fan of this winery. While many have panned Turley (their winemaker) for making overalcoholed, overextracted fruit bombs, I very recently have had 3 of their pinots that, while having a very high alcohol content, had equally high levels of fruit and acid, and went wonderfully with food.

The ones I've had of late: 1999 Blue Slide Ridge pinot (RP 91), 1999 Reserve pinot (RP 93), and the 2000 Three Colts Vineyard pinot.

I had the Blue Slide at La Toque in Napa. It was 15.1% (!) alcohol, but not the least bit hot, and went perfectly with grilled salmon. The Three Colts I had here in NYC at Veritas, and was ~15% as well; it went wonderfully with a roasted monkfish in a red-wine reduction sauce. The 99 Reserve I tasted at the winery (sans food), but backed up the truck nevertheless.

I don't claim to be a pinot expert by any stretch--though they are my favorite varietal of late--but IMHO, these three are in perfect balance, despite their high alcohol content.

I guess my point here is that I don't think high-alcohol wines should be summarily dismissed as being out of balance simply due to their high alcohol. While many are (I too have had numerous "hot" wines that I didn't care for), I found these three to be wonderful.

RAD

- Innkeeper - 05-19-2002

Almost afraid to ask RAD, but prices?

- RAD - 05-19-2002

Sorry IK--

Forgot to mention. These wines aren't cheap, which is exacerbated due to the fact that their retail/aftermarket prices get inflated due to their limited production. The Blue Slide (350 cases) was ~$100 at the restaurant, but I think half that at the winery. The Reserve pinot (650 cases) was $40/bottle at the winery. The Three Colts Vineyard (I believe fewer cases than the Blue Slide) was $50 at the winery, and $90 at the restaurant.

Robert Parker's TNs, FWIW:

'99 Blue Slide Ridge: 91+ pts Robert M. Parker, Jr ~ "The dense ruby/purple colored 1999 Pinot Noir Blue Ridge offers gloriously rich blackberry, blueberry, violet and mineral aromas. Opulently-textured, with fabulous fruit, sensational texture and a full-bodied, long finish, this 1999 California Pinot Noir could easily stand up to many grand cru from Burgundy's Cote de Nuits. Drink it over the next 7-8 years."

'99 Reserve: 93 pts. Robert M. Parker, Jr ~ "The saturated plum-colored 1999 Pinot Noir Martinelli Vineyard Reserve displays more evolution than found in recent vintages. A black cherry/raspberry- scented nose reveals lavish quantities of toasty oak, sweet black raspberries, sous-bois, smoke, and soy. Full bodied and soft, with splendid concentration and enormous depth. It is ideal for drinking over the next 3-4 years.

RAD