WineBoard
Looking for an unusual recommendation/challenge - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for an unusual recommendation/challenge (/thread-714.html)

Pages: 1 2

- ShortWiner - 10-31-2002

Mr. Foodie,
I think I'll be able to get down there tomorrow evening, and if you've got any of the Cannonau left, I'd be delighted to try it. Perhaps you'll be there tomorrow?

--Matt

- ShortWiner - 11-01-2002

Cancel that. I won't be able to make it to is-wine this time around. I will be slaughtering the chicken this weekend, however, and I'll be back on this board next week to give you all a full report.

-Matt

- winedope1 - 11-02-2002

hotwine- you're bringin back memories of the farm. We kids used to watch the poor chickens run after being chopped to see how far they would go. Some are smart and some are dumb and mean (the live ones). I hated to go into the coop cause we had several attack chickens. Personally, to butterfly, I cut out the backbone and I check doneness at the inner thigh, but I've never cooked one over an open fire outside before. Hope all survive the experience (except the chicken)! When studying ancient tools in school, we had to do a comparison- skinning and boning a chicken with a modern knife and also with an obsidian scraper, all on a stopwatch to check the times. I've never had to eat one raw though. Raw beef, yes!

[This message has been edited by winedope1 (edited 11-02-2002).]

- ShortWiner - 11-14-2002

Alright, I'm back from my quest to slaughter domesticated fowl and figure it's time to report in. Briefly, the slaughter was a great success. After talking to the chicken, explaining what we were going to do and why, we proceeded to the chopping stump. The head came off with one clean stroke, the chicken flopped for a while. Everything went more smoothly than I'd figured (exception: gutting the chicken. This was a bit of a hack job on my part, but we got through it.)

The real hitch was in the eating. Upon my arrival at the hut, it was revealed that this was SEVEN year old rooster. I suggested making soup, and the broth was tasty (though strong), but even two hours of simmering could not tame the toughness of this bird. I knew from the start that this would be an issue, but had no idea that meat could actually achieve the texture of a hard rubber ball. Literally.

However, the wines were excellent. Due t time contraints, I was unable to pick up anything suggested on this board. What we did have was worth mentioning, though.

First, while we made our plans and prepared to do the deed, a Domaine Cousin-Leduc Anjou Gamay: yummy, tasted to me very like a Beaujoulais but with more guts and some earth thrown in.

Next, Domaine des Sauvaire Coteaux du Languedoc 2000. I remember good fruits, a touch of tannin, and some more earth. Everyone loved this one.

Finally, Abbaye de Tholomies Sanctus vin de pays d'oc 1999. Wow. Slightly frightening. Even in the dim firelight I could tell that this wine was dark as hell. Big. And boy was it funky. I remember the distinct flavor of bleu cheese. Fascinating, once I got over my initial shock.

Looking over what I've written, I realize I don't have too much in the way of specific descriptors for these wines, but that's something I'm learning, and I wasn't taking notes on this particular occasion. Thanks for your suggestions, one and all.

Foodie, I WILL get down to is-wine before long.

-SW