WineBoard
Brunch - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Brunch (/thread-710.html)

- mrdutton - 05-19-2001

I thought all this was a good match:

Bacon strips pan fried in my antique cast iron skillet.

Bechamel spiced with chives, parsley flakes and finished with heated chardonnay (pre-heating the wine helps drive out the alcohol); seasonings adjusted.

Onion and tomato (skin and seeds removed) reduction, sauted in canola and hazlenut oil, de-glazed and reduced until almost completly dry with chardonnay; removed from heat, butter added to sauce the reduction; seasonings adjusted.

Two egg omlet made with with salt, pepper and a bit of water, thinly sliced Boar's head american cheese (two slices), and half of the onion/tomato reduction. Also cook the omlet in canola and hazelnut oil.

Plate by stacking several strips of bacon across the top of the plate forming a open bottomed triangle. Place the omelet at the bottom of the plate, below the triangle of bacon. Spoon the remainder of the tomato/onion reduction over the top of the omelet. Spoon the white sauce all around the omlet. Add a bit of color and herbal essence by sprinkling the plate with dried chervil and dill.

Serve with New Zealand 1999 Grove Mill Marlborough Riesling (I had a bottle left and needed a reason to open it). The wine was chilled to about 38 degrees F. in the refrigerator.

No recipes, off the top-of-the-head, just wanted a decent brunch.

Try it you might like it!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-19-2001).]

- chittychattykathy - 05-20-2001

Yum!

- mrdutton - 05-21-2001

Well today I had to travel to Richmond, VA. I delivered some papers to the Circuit Court for a Norfolk law firm.

I was stuck in Richmond at an off hour for lunch, about 2:30 PM. I found a seafood place called The Hard Shell Crab.

Ordered a half-pound of steamed mussels and a half-pound of Dungeness crab. Had two different wines by the glass. The seafood was served with drawn butter, a horseraddish aioli and cocktail sauce made with tomatoes and pablano peppers.

I started with a Pinot Grigio and then had a Syrah. I drank the Pinot Grigio with the mussels and the Syrah with the crab.

Now under normal circumstances I would probably not suggest a Syrah with crab meat. The wine would over-power it for sure. However, since the tomato/pablano sauce was already trying to overtake the crab, I thought the syrah might work.

It matched very nicely with the sauce. It did not work with the aioli nor did it work with the crab meat by itself or with drawn butter. This as I would have suspected.

But the crab and the tomato & chilli sauce and the syrah were very nice together.

The syrah was from Domaine de la Terre Rouge in California and was a 1998. Very nice stuff this from a member of the Rhone Rangers.

So much for brunch and lunch.........