WineBoard
2001 martinelli moonshine ranch - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 martinelli moonshine ranch (/thread-7068.html)

- joe_shred - 04-05-2005

Was recently given a bottle of 2001 martinelli moonshine ranch... holy *&%$ what an outstanding pinot. 15.4% alcohol but not heaty. Wonderful nose, beautiful fruit, balanced acid and soft tannins. If you can find it, could someone let me know where, other than the winery.
Cheers

- Innkeeper - 04-05-2005

Sounds like a good one. Any idea what the price might be?

- dananne - 04-06-2005

We posted favorably a few months back on the '01 Bondi Home Ranch Water Trough Vineyard, which was stellar and one of our favorite Pinots we've had in some time. I'll look for this one. Thanks for the rec. I'm assuming it runs closer to the $49 price tag I paid on the Bondi than the $32 for their regular RRV bottling.

- joe_shred - 04-06-2005

I had the bondi the day before and the moonshine is far superior.
Cheers

- dananne - 04-06-2005

Then it must be one heck of a good wine! Again, I'll look for it and thanks for the rec!

- winoweenie - 04-06-2005

Joe-Baby.....WHAT was the price? WW

- joe_shred - 04-06-2005

It was a gift but i think 35$ ISH...

- TheEngineer - 04-07-2005

Joe S

I'm going to be in Vancouver for a few days on Sunday. Any recommendations on which restaurants to take wine loving clients? I've been to a few on Robson that have good choices but would love a few more points from a local. I've been to Lumiere, Cincin, and some in the Yaletown area (good bar at Opus and Lounge at Fairmont Seaport).

Someone told me about the "Winebar at Fiction" and "Le Gavroche". What do you think?

- joe_shred - 04-07-2005

Fiction is OK, La Gavaroche is traditional French, if you've been to Lumiere you don't really need to see La Gavaroche. "West" on Granville & 16th/Chef David Hawksworth beat Lumiere 2 yrs ago for best rest in Van. Tojo's on Broadway or Hapa Izakaya on Robson are great for Japanese, "Ciopinno's" in Yaletown on Hamilton is one of my favorites. The owner and Chef Pino worked with famous Canadian Chef Umberto Mengi for years.The food is Italian and they have a great wine list. All their verticals are one price per house ie. 94/95/96/97 Freemark Abbey Boche are all one price. A nice menu is "parkside's" with a 20 for $20. The former executive @ Cin Cin has opened up his own Rest."savoury coast mediterranean cuccina" directly across from Cin Cin on Robson, the room apperently is modest but the food is great. I can only imagine what Romy has come up with now that he is out from under the umbrella of the "top table group" Finally I might suggest Chambar, I haven't been but everything I've heard is that it is amazing, unique martini's, solid wine list and outstanding west coast food. Hope you find something.
Cheers

- TheEngineer - 04-07-2005

Many thanks! I'll be sure to try at least one of them this time!