WineBoard
1982 Burgundies - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 1982 Burgundies (/thread-7005.html)

- Capocheny - 04-24-2005

Does anyone here have any information on the 1982 vintage in Burgundy?

I have a chance to buy some Domaine Romanee Conti Eschazeaux but am having difficulties locating a rating for this particular wine and vintage.

(Understanding, of course, that the Producer has more impact than the vintage especially in Burgundy.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

- winoweenie - 04-24-2005

Hi Capocheny. Even tho 82 was extroadinary in Bordeaux Burgandy was sub-par. I've seen the bottling on the west coast for rite at 200 per bottle. Doubt I'd be interested. WW

- Capocheny - 04-25-2005

Hello WOW,

Thank you kindly for the info... considering that this is coming from a first rate producer such as DRC I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile taking a chance on it or not.

In Bordeaux, even in an off vintage such as 1992, 93, 94, chateaus such as those of the first growth still produced very good wines. Would this same assumption be a safe one for producers in Burgundy?

I've looked in my older Parker guides and the W/S books but, unfortunately, mine don't extend back as far as this. Hence, the reason for asking.

Has anyone here tasted this wine? If so... what was your impression of it? When did you drink it last? And, what will it be like now after 23 years in a proper cellar?

We tasted a 1971 Vogue Chambolle Musigny at Christmas that was akin to dying and going to heaven. But, I believe this was a much better vintage than the 82.

Thanks

- wondersofwine - 04-25-2005

Welcome to the board. Just to let you know, Winoweenie is abbreviated WW and my moniker, wondersofwine is abbreviated WOW. I created some confusion by adopting a board name that was too close to Winoweenie's as far as shortened form. I love Burgundies myself but have only been collecting since the '97 vintage. Here is a 2000 tasting note from Andre Langevin that appeared on the Wine Lovers Discussion Group forum:
1982 Echezeaux (DRC)

I''m surprised that this is supposed to be the junior version of the Grands Echezeaux, as it was holding on much better. The colour was a shade darker than the Grands, and the nose had a good balance of clove, coffee and barn wood, but certainly wasn''t overpowering. On the palate, notes of coffee, barn wood, and bitter fruit tones. The finish was a touch short, and the wine showed definite maturity -- drink up. Scored 15.5 points -- my rank 3rd, group rank 6th. There were a few really hideously corked bottles of this in the tasting, so the group rank doesn''t mean much.

This was from a horizontal tasting of 1982 DRC wines.

It warns of some corked bottles and thought that five years ago the wine was at maturity so it might be past its prime now.

- Capocheny - 04-25-2005

Hello WOW,

Thank you kindly for the tasting note... that's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I think I'll take a rain check on this particular buy.

Thanks again

Cheers

- wondersofwine - 04-25-2005

You're welcome and cheers back to you! I would love to visit Vancouver and other parts of British Columbia some day.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-25-2005).]

- Capocheny - 04-25-2005

Hi WOW,

I hope you do get the opportunity of visiting British Columbia one of these fine days. It's really a great part of the world and I think you'll find it a friendly place to visit.

BTW, have you ever tried a couple of BC wines, as follows:

1. Blue Mountain Pinot Noir
2. Cedar Creek Platinum Series Pinot

Both are very, very tasty and, given their price point, they are both great glasses of wines. My personal favorite is the Blue Mountain Pinot. It has lots of fruit and enough structure to last a few years...

Traditionally, I'm not a huge fan of BC wines but I must say that these two wines have caused me to re-think my opinion.

Cheers

- TheEngineer - 04-25-2005

WOW, I would highly second Capocheny's to visit the province of BC. I've been there at least 15 times in the last two years and am no where near bored.

Some suggestions:
(1) Vancouver
(2) Take ferry or helicopter to Victoria
(3) go to the Okanagan wine region
(4) Tifino (sp) on the lsland
(5) Banff and Whistler (must must must)

Don't wait too long as this area will change significantly in its preparation for the 2010 Winter Olympics. I would go before and during just to see the difference.

- wondersofwine - 04-26-2005

I haven't encountered any British Columbia wines. About the only Canadian wine I sometimes find available is Inniskillen Ice Wine. Perhaps at the offline in Washington this August we can find some wines from British Columbia.
And, Engineer, Victoria and Banff are on my to do list. I like the idea of going to Victoria by helicopter or ferry (if it's not stormy). Thanks for the suggestions.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-26-2005).]

- Capocheny - 04-26-2005

Hello again, WOW,

If, and when, you do get up to British Columbia (Vancouver and Whistler) and Alberta (Banff and Calgary) there are a lot of very good restaurants and wine shops around.

Just let me know and I'll be happy to make a few recommendations.

Cheers

- dananne - 04-26-2005

Anne leaves for Banff on Thursday, returning on Sunday, for a law firm litigation retreat. She was there a few years ago for the same purpose.

Southerner that she is, she says that she'll stay indoors the entire time (something about the weather this time of year only being good for moose and the like), though a wine shop or good restaurant may tempt her outside. Suggestions are welcome.

- Capocheny - 04-27-2005

Hi Dananne,

I hope she steps out and gives this restaurant a try... they have a great wine list and the food is delicious as well. Here is the link:

http://www.dininginbanff.com/restaurants/beaujolais.shtml

Cheers

- dananne - 04-27-2005

Thanks for the rec -- I've forwarded it to her, and hope she's able to make it. I know good food and a good wine list always warms her up [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 04-27-2005).]