WineBoard
Some Suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Some Suggestions (/thread-70.html)

- barnesy - 10-19-2000

I am planning a nice dinner for 4.
I am going to start with a tossed salad with a vinergrette/italian dressing.

a three meat Spagetti with a 1993 Castello di Bossi Chianti Classico.
What kind of side dishes would work with this?

As far as dessert, I am thinking of serving an off-sweet 1999 St. Chapelle Special Harvest Reisling and am looking for a simple dessert that would go with this.

Any suggestions in general are welcome.

Barnesy

- winoweenie - 10-20-2000

Barnsey, my personal preference for dessert would be , as Buckie-poo observed elsewhere, a 1970 Taylor Vintage Port. (hehe) winoweenie

- Thomas - 10-20-2000

Barnesy, I am not familiar with the Riesling you mention, but if you want to have an interesting experience, use balsamic vinegar for the salad and pair it with a semi-dry Riesling (3 to 5 % residual sugar and high acidity).

As for dessert, Late Harvest Rieslings are dessert to me; they need no counterpart. But if you must serve a solid dessert take ww's advice.

- Bucko - 10-20-2000

Boys, read the question.....

A nice, simple dessert to go with off-dry Riesling would be flan.

Bucko

- barnesy - 10-20-2000

Gentlemen, I could fly to portugal to get a port quicker than I could find one in Idaho. The wine shops don't have it, they say to go to the liquor shops...the liquor shops only have Liquor! I would have to order one over the net to get one and my time horizan is very narrow. And thats why I like Bucko's response. I will have to look into the flan. I am still taking other suggestions for the dessert and the side dish for the main course. Thanks though for the effort, and thanks in advance for any future suggestions

Barnesy

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 10-20-2000).]

- cluelessdrinker - 10-20-2000

I have a fabulous and foolproof recipe for flan. Let me know if you would like me to post it for you. I have only served it with coffee so I could not say whether it would go with any of the wines listed.

- barnesy - 10-30-2000

Please do post your flan recipe.

Barnesy

- mrdutton - 10-30-2000

Didn't we have some posted recipes for Flan several months ago? Use the search option and I think you'll find some interesting commentary about flan and you might even find a recipe.

Side dish with the pasta? Pasta as you have suggested is a course unto itself. However, how about some fresh, home-made bread with a bit of herb-butter or if you wish just plain old garlic butter.

You could get fancier with some oven toasted bread, a bit of very fine olive oil, some crushed garlic and a bit of freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Or try some garlic infused olive oil in a shallow dipping dish with a bit of red pepper ....... then allow your guests to dip their bread into the oil. That is also kinda yummy, at least to me, with a plate full of spaghetti.

I like anti-pasta, soup, pasta, meat, salad and then dessert. (But with a three meat sauce on your pasta, you should skip the meat course.)

Your dessert wine is dessert, just as foodie suggested. However, flan would go nicely with the sweet riesling.

However, I think I'd serve a decent flan and then a bit later serve a port and cigars (for those who may wish to smoke). If there are no smokers, then serve some hard cheese with the port.