WineBoard
EIEIO Oregon pinots - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: EIEIO Oregon pinots (/thread-6988.html)

- RAD - 03-11-2002

Anyone familiar with any of these from recent vintages? A friend of mine says they're a great bang for the buck.

RAD

- winoweenie - 03-11-2002

Are those them famous suckers from McDonalds Vineyard? WW

- RAD - 03-12-2002

One in the same I hear.

RAD

- wondersofwine - 03-12-2002

With a bang, bang here and a buck, buck there...nope, not familiar with them but it's a clever name.

- Cole - 03-15-2002

EIEIO is indeed a cute name, cuter still when you know that the "producer's" last name really is McDonald! These are negociant-style blends of Pinot noir from different Willamette Valley vineyards and made by different winemakers to the specifications of the "negociant," Jay McDonald, in Carlton. He's got a couple of different levels (Cuvees I, E, and O) that are each designed to present a different style. They are priced I think between $15 and $35. I've got a case of one of them (I can't readily tell which Cuvee it is) that is my "everyday" Pinot. Tasty stuff and generally good value.

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2002

Thanks for the added info.

- winoweenie - 03-15-2002

Hi Cole and thanxs fer the fun info. Great marketing. I'm looking forward to the first release of I.M. Coles " Unfergittable" Cabernet. WW

- mrdutton - 03-15-2002

Can't wait for the Mr Green Jeans Zinfandel!

Grandfather Clock Vines Syrah!

Bunny Rabbit Chardonnay!

Oh dear that's not McDonalds's Farm that's a different show......... Sorry.........

- winoweenie - 03-16-2002

MissisD'.....Take the Jack outa' his hands. WW By the bye, I updated my E MisserD. Only took me an hour. ( Computer-Impaired Weener )

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-16-2002).]

- Thomas - 03-16-2002

with a quack, quack here and a Quincy there, an oink, oink here and Aglianico there...stop me, stop me, please!

- RAD - 03-16-2002

Right you are, Cole. I just bought a mixed case of 4 99 Cuvee I, 4 99 Cuvee EIEIO, and 4 00 Cuvee E. Popped open one of the 99 Cuvee EIEOS night before last with grilled salmon--perfect! Nice, fruity pinot, but elegant and restrained at the same time. Good stuff. To inquire about Jay's wine and to get on his mailing list, email pinot@viclink.com.

RAD

- RAD - 03-16-2002

Cole,

I just reread your post and noticed that you couldn't tell which bottle was which. I, too, was having trouble identifying them at first. But if you look at the label (a small, 2" diamond-shaped label with two pairs of "EI" in one big "O") closely, you'll find your answer: Cuvee "I" has the red "I" outlined in black; Cuvee "E" has the "E" outlined in black; and the "EIEIO" has the whole thing outlined in black. Subtle, but fun. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD

- winoweenie - 03-16-2002

WAY TO DERNED MUCH STUDYIN' FER ME. LIKE THAT STUPID DUNGEON AND DRAGOONS GAME.WW

- Cole - 03-17-2002

Thanks RAD. I've asked Jay about that, but I can never remember his formula when I get back to my cellar! He tells me one label is "beige" and the other is "slate" or something like that, and when I look at it at home it all looks "puce" to me! By the way, WW, I'm not all that much into Cabs, so you can look for my new wine coming out soon: Cole's "P? No, no R" wine. It is made from a special Oregonian clone of the No P Eno No R vine.

- Cole - 03-17-2002

Addendum: I think Jay added the letter codes for the '99 releases (I'll have to ask him ot be sure). My bottles are '98s and I think his formula then was color coded only. He gave me a bottle of a 1999 "red cap" EIEIO (a whole 'nother level of marketing granulatrity to deal with?) and when I looked at the label I found the outlined "I" as RAD described, but man, it was WAY hard to detect! But if you know Jay, his way is the best way (in his mind). And though I make light of it, I have tremendous respect for Jay and his Pinot knowledge (as opinionated as he can be). He runs The Tasting Room in Carlton under the niche of offering for taste wines from wineries that have no tasting rooms (Beaux Freres, McKinlay, Brooks, etc.), and he runs his negociant business nationwide with what I still claim is an excellent value in good quality Pinot No R.

- vinman - 03-20-2002

Geez!
Rad asked if anyone had tasted the wine and I got lost in the replys!

When the recent vintage 2000 Cuvee E has been allowed to settle and then decanted, it ain't too bad! But if we like our Pinot a bit aged, buy a few 1999 Cuvee I's and I think surprises are in order. It must be the soil! Some dark fruit here!