WineBoard
Burgundy dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Burgundy dinner (/thread-6977.html)

- Thomas - 02-11-2002

Hey everyone, this is a copy of an email I sent to is-wine customers. This is going to be a great night.

"In cooperation with Village Wine Imports, is-wine plays host to its first wine dinner of the 2002 season. We call it Burgundy Night and it takes place at Il Buco Restaurant, 47 Bond Street, between Lafayette and Bowery.

This will be a wonderful event, offering the opportunity to taste as well as to buy some fine Burgundy wines that are hard to get at retail."

The date: Thursday, February 28
Time: 7:00 pm
Price: $90/person--flat; includes gratuity and tax.

So, here is the menu and the wine list.

1st Course:
Brandade & green olive-almond Crostini
Domaine Gerard Tremblay Chablis premier cru "Fourchaume" 1999
Philippe Girard Savigny les Beaune 2000

2nd Course:
Chicory Salad with lardons and poached quail egg
Chavy-Chouet Puligny Montrachet "Les Enseigneres" 1999
Francois & Vincent Jouard Chassagne Montrachet premier cru "Champ Gain" 1999
Michel Tessier Meursault premier cru "Genevrieres" 1999

3rd Course:
Mushroom Ravioli
Rapet Pere et Fils Pernand Vergelesses 1999
Carre-Courbin Volnay premier cru "Robardelles" 1999

4th Course:
Braised Short Ribs with roasted vegetables
Virgile Lignier Morey St Denis premier cru "aux Charmes" 1999
Domaine de la Charmaie Nuits St Georges premier cru "Les Bousselots" 1997
Rossignol-Trapet Chapelle-Chambertin 1999

5th Course:
A Selection of French Cheeses

Biscotti

We are limited to 25 people for this dinner, which will take place in a private room at the restaurant.
To make reservations, call is-wine: 212-254-7800 or email us at service@is-wine.com"

Sent email out on 2/06/02; was near sold out by 2/09/02. Probably sold out now, but I won't know until I get back to the store on Tuesday. I will of course let you know how the dinner goes.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 02-11-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 02-11-2002

It sounds fabulous Foodie. That's the kind of wine dinner I will splurge on and burgundies (white and red) are my favorites!

- mrdutton - 03-11-2002

Hey foodie! How about a critique of the dinner?

- Thomas - 03-12-2002

Well, I was afraid you would ask. In general, the dinner was fine. Only two incidents when I felt the food and wine match failed, but it was because the food prep was mediocre at best. The crostini was overbearing--too much flavor for the wine, and the mushroom ravioli didn't quite make it to the wine's level.

A few of the reds were a little too New World for me--I like Burgundy when it tastes like Burgundy--especially the Volnay was a disappointment to me; none of the silky, subtleness that Volnay should be.

But the real failure was in the idea. is-wine, my shop, sponsored the dinner in the hope that we would sell some wine. The distributor/importer gave the wine free to the dinner and we subsidized the dinner. He and we lost a few hundred dollars, since the diners took advantage of the bargain, but only for the dinner and not for the reduced prices for the wines. I believe our mistake is that we teach our customers to seek value, and so they are hard-pressed to spend Burgundy dollars...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-12-2002).]

- winoweenie - 03-12-2002

Sorry about the glitches in the dinner but think yopu nailed the problem on sales. Selling that group Burgandies would be like setting up a booth in Wendys to sell Kobe beef mail-order. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 03-12-2002

It probably would work with less expensive wines. At the recent dinner featuring Savannah-Chanelle Winery from California some people at my table purchased a case of the syrah, etc. I purchased three bottles of the pinot noir. Not sure how sales were at the other tables but it also gained name recognition for the winery which has recently been licensed to sell wines in North Carolina.
I have a Volnay "Caillerets" at home to try. I have yet to be disappointed by a Volnay so I'm sorry the one at the dinner didn't live up to reputation.

- Thomas - 03-13-2002

wondersofwine, I love a good Volnay, but the one at the dinner aspired to be an Oregon Pinot Noir instead of a Volnay. I am deeply disturbed at the wine trend in Europe.

- hotwine - 03-13-2002

Foodie, that dinner sounded so nice that it had me checking into flight schedules with SW Airlines (known locally as the "company plane"). Looks like it would get us into LI. We may try that sometime.

- mrdutton - 03-13-2002

Hey foodie what have you got planned for August?

Wife and I expect to be in the city from 8/19 through 8/21 to see a couple of shows and for a short vacation.

We stay at the Roger Smith, mid-town on Lexington Ave.....

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-13-2002).]

- Thomas - 03-13-2002

August! I can't even think beyond March. But if you do come into the city and you do not get in touch, I shall never speak to you again...I am sure Scoop and I can come up with something to delight you and your bride.

- Thomas - 03-13-2002

Hotwine, in general, the dinner was a fine evening--one of my regular customers even gave me a hug afterwards.

My business partner and I know what we did wrong and we shall make some fixes before we do another dinner. But we will do another, maybe one more interesting than Burgundy, you know, dandelion or rhubarb...

- hotwine - 03-14-2002

Eeeee.... <choke>

- wondersofwine - 03-14-2002

This is directed mostly to Foodie. I tried to e-mail him but it didn't go through. I really like Arlaud '99 Morey-St.-Denis Les Ruchots (a premier cru) and slightly behind that the Arlaud '99 Morey-St.-Denis Millandes (another premier cru). I also found Arlaud's '99 Clos-St.-Denis (grand cru) very appealing and better than the '98 of the same wine. I was surprised that Serena Sutcliffe in a book on Burgundy wines made rather a snotty or snobbish and dismissive comment about Arlaud wines. I know several distributors and retailers who are enthusiastic about this producer and go to extra pains to acquaint people with his wines because Morey-St.-Denis isn't as well known as its neighbors. (I actually prefer the Arlaud M-S-D wines to his Gevrey wines.) Foodie, do you have any experience with Arlaud's '99 wines? What is your opinion of them? I may not have enough experience with red burgundies (although I keep trying to increase it)to know if his wines are faithful to terroir or corrupted by modern anomalies. I do see distinctions between the "Les Ruchots", "Millandes" and Clos-St.-Denis. They don't all taste the same. Anyone else familiar with Arlaud wines want to give an opinion?

- Thomas - 03-14-2002

Sorry, I have no experience with Arlaud wines. I'll see if I can find them.

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2002

Last night I looked up what Clive Coates had to say about Arlaud wines. He said he has had some fine wines at the top of the line but some of the wines lower on the scale seemed slight. (Arlaud produces village wines as well as premier and grand cru wines). That makes me feel a little better about my attraction to the wines but doesn't really answer whether they are faithful to terroir. Mr. Coates also said Arlaud destems 90% of his grapes, and uses about 10% new wood. He sales some of the juice in bulk and bottles the rest. I think he said he spends 12 to 14 days vinifying and bottles after 18 months to two years.