WineBoard
Food suggestions for amarone - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Food suggestions for amarone (/thread-689.html)

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2003

One of the wines I picked up in Charlotte was a half bottle of Tedeschi Valpolicella di Amarone. Can you provide two or three choices of food companions for this wine?
(Also purchased two bottles of 2001 Ridge Paso Robles [Dusi Ranch] Zinfandel which I've been wanting to try, a Castle Rock Pinot Noir which was recommended as a value wine, and the Salmon Run Riesling from Konstantin Frank).

- Thomas - 12-02-2003

Well, that's interesting. Is it the California Tedeschi or the one in Italy?

If it is an Amarone, or an Amarone style, then it can do well with a fine array of cheeses such as fresh reggiano,or piave, or some such kind of-but-not-truly sharp cheese.

There should be a raisin-like quality to the wine--many different nuts do well too.

Eating a big meal with Amarone is not my cup o' wine. It is such an intense product that it seems to do better with simple foods like the above.

Roberto might have some other ideas.

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2003

Thanks, Foodie. I like reggiano so will probably try that combo. I thought it was Italian but will relook at the bottle. Dean and Deluca in Charlotte carries mostly California wines (and some Oregon, etc.) so maybe it is Californian.

- Kcwhippet - 12-02-2003

Fodie,

It has to be Italian. The CA winery is Teldeschi not Tedeschi, and I don't think they're making Amarone in CA yet. There is a Seghesio in both CA and Italy, however.

- Thomas - 12-03-2003

KC, you are correct. At night, especially after dinner and wine, I don't see all the letters in a word correctly, sometimes not at all...

But, I make such a mistake mainly because of my mistrust for an American wine industry that still indiscriminately steals European designations. Example: "Cribari Madeira;" an Italian surname with a Portuguese appellation for a wine produced in California--ugh!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-03-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2003

I hear you. I still rankle when I recall the marketing hype about "Korbel - the official champagne of the millenium."

- Auburnwine - 12-03-2003

There is a Tedeschi Vineyards in Hawaii.

Cribari? Wasn't that the jug wine that we called "The Gentle Journey" back in the late sixties?

- Thomas - 12-03-2003

I don't know about you, but none of my journeys back then were even close to gentle...

Hey, we gonna get together for drinks or food this weekend? I close the store at 9PM.

- Auburnwine - 12-03-2003

I would love to. I'll touch base with you either Friday or Saturday. Our trip to Le Grande Pomme is still an evolving expedition (an opportunity to take the young'un has suddenly arisen), so we shall make it up as we go along.

I tried to e-mail you through your store web site. Did it arrive? If not, drop me a note at hillcar at auburn.edu.

- wondersofwine - 12-04-2003

I checked and the Amarone is from Tedeschi in Italy. Auburnwine sparked my memory with the mention of Tedeshci in Hawaii. I bought a bottle of their Maui Blush Wine as sort of a curiosity thing and served it at a wine tasting I gave for a church fundraiser.