WineBoard
2005 Russian Hill Estate Russian River Valley Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2005 Russian Hill Estate Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (/thread-6873.html)

- dananne - 11-17-2007

I selected this wine to toast the memory of my beloved 14-year old Siberian Husky who sadly and somewhat unexpectedly passed away on Thursday. We don't have children -- for Anne and me, our "kids" are furry and bark, so it was really a sad night. I figured a Russian Hill wine from the Russian River Valley would be an appropriate choice for a Siberian dog.

We visited the winery in August, and it was a somewhat surpising hit for both of us. They have beautiful views from their hilltop tasting room, and we enjoyed most everything from the flight, from the Pinots to the meaty, cool-climate Syrah, to their crisp, balanced, and refreshing take on my least favorite grape, Chardonnay.

We decanted this 30 minutes before 1st pour. Bright red ruby in color, with a nose of black cherry, cinnamon, and the slightest earthy hint of barnyard. It smelled like a Russian River Valley wine. Lush and textured cherry flavors are dominant, and it's smooth and almost creamy in the mouth, while still having the acidity to keep it focused. It's a wonderful wine, perhaps one of our favorite Pinots we've had at home this year. It was a nice drink to help say goodbye to my "Deri." 14.4% alc. We paid about $35 for it, and it was well worth every penny. We have more of it and other Russian Hill wines in the cellar, and I'll be looking forward to them all.

- hotwine - 11-18-2007

Sorry to hear about Deri, Dan. Sometimes a good dog just can't be replaced. I lost my beer-stealin' Cocker buddy Champ in '99, when one day he laid down under the BBQ trailer and just went to sleep. Figure the angels must have needed help chasing rabbits. Condolences.

- Drew - 11-18-2007

Pets are family and are cherished...very sorry for your loss.

Drew

- winoweenie - 11-18-2007

My deepest condolences Anne & Dan. CB and I have only 4 legged children also and have had the misforutne to lose one of the family. Ours don't bark but give loads of pleasure. GBet another soon as there are so many loving deserving animals that need your love. BPR, WW

- TheEngineer - 11-18-2007

Our condolences DA. Family pets are family around our parts. They create many of the memories and are a significant part of our lives.

- Innkeeper - 11-18-2007

Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad the wine helped.

- wondersofwine - 11-19-2007

Sorry about Deri. May have been easier on you and Anne than having to put the dog to sleep because of painful ailments.

I noticed with the higher end Ferrarri-Carano Pinot Noir that it had that characteristic Russian River Valley fragrance that the better ones have. It is distinctive. Sorry I didn't get to Russian Hill but I'm already planning a return in 2009 or 2010.

- Kcwhippet - 11-19-2007

Very sorry to hear about Deri's passing, Dan. I had a large dog for about 12 years in a previous life - a 125 pound female Dobie. Now Judy and I seem to be rescuers of lost animals. A lost Himalayan came to our front door about five years ago and we took her in while looking for the owners, and she's still with us. About two years later we inheirited Judy's Mom's little poodle when she passed away a few years ago. Just a couple of months ago we became "temporary" custodians of an unwanted little Maine Coon/Persian mix kitten, which I suspect will probably be with us for awhile. Even though I always say no more,and it never seems to end, I don't think we could do without their companionship.

- dananne - 11-19-2007

Thanks, everyone. Anne and I really appreciate your kind words.