WineBoard
Tuscan Inspirations - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Tuscan Inspirations (/thread-683.html)

- Hal - 06-03-2002

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Provence and Tuscany, and I found some inspiration for new dishes.

Crostini: brilliant! toast with stuff on it. Chopped tomatoes with olive oil, pate, olive paste etc. Easy...delicious. Use nice bread.

In Castelfiorentino we had a Florentine style t-bone steak topped with arugula and parmesan. We both loved it. The other night I made fresh tagliatelli and hadn't decided how to serve it when it struck me...ouch! Arugula and parmesan. As soon as the pasta was drained, I drizzled on some olive oil, and tossed in a chiffonade of arugula and some grated parmesano reggiano. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum. Deb was pleased. So simple, so quick and fresh, so reminiscent of out trip to Italy.

A popular vegetable side we were served both in Provence and Liguria was a baked tomato with the top cut off and sprinkled with bread crumbs, cheese, olive oil, parsley or combinations.

We also had pasta with truffles as often as we could. At one restaurant, it was served with enough fresh truffle slices to make a Manhattan diner blush. For less than $10 bucks. We cam home a jar of truffle butter and put most of it onto some freshly cooked pasta with cream.

Oh...the wine? The wine was cheap and terrific everywhere.

- hotwine - 06-03-2002

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Hal! I grilled some tomatoes like you described over oak a few days ago. Dynamite!

- Drew - 06-03-2002

Hal...major YUM! Jealous and drooling!

Drew

- winoweenie - 06-03-2002

Almost....ALMOST tempted me to abandon my sabattical. Will go for them when I'm popping corks again. WW

- winemermaid - 06-04-2002

Sounds fabulous...my stomach is rumbling... the best food I ever had was in Siena...I'd go back in a heartbeat... glad you had fun

- Thomas - 06-05-2002

Hal, that baked tomato dish is a constant in my home when the red ones start rolling in ripe at the end of summer. Nothing like it.

- Hal - 06-05-2002

I hate turning on the oven in the middle of the summer, but good news afoot: we will be closing on our Brooklyn row house in a few weeks, and I expect the outdoor gas grill will be used often. I just wonder if I can expect any of my Manhattan friends to come to dinner in Brooklyn!

- Thomas - 06-05-2002

I go almost anywhere for dinner...where are we going for this dinner in Brooklyn? Crown Heights? See you Saturday. Have you seen the Wednesday NY Post wine section? We are in it for our selection of Gruner Veltliner for summer--will taste it this Saturday, maybe along with another wine.

Incidentally, you do not need to do the tomato in an oven, probably shouldn't anyway, to save energy. I use an electric countertop convection.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-05-2002).]