WineBoard
2005 Steele Pinot Noir, Carneros and two non-Pinots - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2005 Steele Pinot Noir, Carneros and two non-Pinots (/thread-6766.html)

- wondersofwine - 09-10-2007

I'm posting this under Pinot Noir since I felt that was the most successful wine in the self-chosen flight of three I had.

After the Wake Forest-Nebraska football game I drove to Greensboro to dine at the Muse Restaurant. Dark red walls, ivory patterned tin ceiling, half arch between the dining tables and the lounge/bar area, huge European-style floral arrangement under the half arch with another similar but smaller arrangement near the entrance, Burgundy-size stemware on the table, white linens, heavy utensils, a flower or two on each table in a slender pewter? or silver? vase, brown, thinly-slatted horizontal blinds on the windows, patio dining also, large paintings on the wall behind me ranging from abstract to Rubenesque--unifying trait seemed to be dark red colors. The chef came out during the meal and spoke with each table to see if they were enjoying the dinner.

In addition to a number of wines by the glass (6-oz. pour) you could sample three wines in 3-oz. pours with some listed for $12 for the flight and some for $15 for the flight. I chose from the $15 list and started with DOMAINE SCHLUMBERGER RIESLING, "LES PRINCES ABBES", 2004, ALSACE.
I had liked a Schlumberger wine at a wine dinner in Raleigh. However this had more petrol than fruit on the nose and may be closing down. A slight citrus suggestion and some steely mineral presence.

Had this with a tasty tartlet of mozzarella cheese and heirloom tomatoes with pastry. Also with an amuse bouche of a single frog's leg done tempura style with julienned vegetables in a Thai sauce. Quite delicious and an unusual presentation for frog's legs.

My entree was veal tenderloin topped with sea scallops and served with wild mushroom and leek accompaniment. With this I asked for the two red wines of the flight to be served.

2005 STEELE PINOT NOIR, CARNEROS, CALIFORNIA
This is nearly always a reliable choice for me. Floral nose of violets--somewhat like the La Crema from the night before. Pale garnet with semi-transparency. Dark cherries contributed to the flavor sensations but thankfully no cola. Smooth on the palate with an elegant and quite lengthy finish. Nice with the veal tenderloin. Caused a bit of a pucker if held in the mouth for awhile.

2004 ROBERT MONDAVI CABERNET SAUVIGNON, NAPA VALLEY
A disappointment. Maybe the result of Constellation Brand or whoever bought up Mondavi but not the elegant somewhat restrained style I associated with Robert Mondavi C.S. from Napa (some of the coastal and other lines are different.) Rich, very ripe? over ripe? berries and black currants. Didn't really appeal to me on the nose or palate. Some viscosity on the sides of the glass. Has an almost sweet taste. Weird and jammy. I didn't finish even the 3-oz. pour (and I may have a bottle of this at home.)

Since I didn't finish the third pour of the flight, I decided to order some Port after dinner. Had Graham's 10 YEAR TAWNY PORT (a generous 3 oz. pour which I didn't finish) at $9.00. More a ruby color but between ruby port and 20-year tawny in flavors. Leggy on glass. Dried plums. Not sure if the orange peel and walnut components were really in the flavors or if the description on the winelist put them in my mind. Sweeter impression than the Cockburn 10-yr. Tawny Port which is my usual standard. I read elsewhere that Graham generally is known for a somewhat sweet style.

If business ever takes you to Greensboro, I can recommend the Muse Restaurant on Kathleen Avenue. It is probably the gourmet dining spot in Greensboro although it was not full on a Saturday evening.