WineBoard
2003 MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir (/thread-6742.html)

- hotwine - 12-11-2005

From the Sonoma Coast. "Different" is the first word that comes to mind on this puppy: seems to bear a relationship to CA PN but with a difference that is difficult for me to define. Tasty enough with salmon and mixed veggies with a decidely "hot" profile at the prize restaurant at the Westin La Cantera Resort, "Francesa's at Sunset" last night for D's birthday dinner. $14 by the glass. Don't think I would opt for this without further inspection.

- wondersofwine - 12-15-2005

I'm not very fond of this one either. I have only had it as part of a flight with other Pinots.

- Kcwhippet - 12-15-2005

Had this a few times at the shop, but have never taken to it. I do like their Merlot, however.

- wdonovan - 12-20-2005

Had a distributor trick me with this stuff at a tasting last year. Whatever it is that he poured was quite tasty, closer to a Burgundy taste than most pinots that I've had (don't beat me up on this, I don't drink Cali wines). On this tasting, I bought a case of 03, what I was told I tasted. It was the most awful wine ever. Still green and slightly effervescent. It shouldn't have been released. My wife liked it and wouldn't let me return it. I opened it for her when I was drinking something else, not in the mood for wine, or if I needed to rinse out the Insinkerator. It was true garbage and the last bottle, opened 8 months after buying it, was just losing the greenness and effervescence. The distributor admitted to me at the next tasting that they had a "problem" with this wine. "You should try the current vintage". But... they sold it anyway and I paid for their problem. Why should I ever again buy crap from Gallo? Easy, I shouldn't. I should've known better. Now I do. When I want something that tastes like a Burgundy, I pay the price and get a Burgundy.

- Drew - 12-20-2005

Don't think I'd slam Gallo for a wine that you didn't enjoy. If that was the case I'd rule out 25% of wine producers. Seems like your beef is with the distributor who mighta done a bait and switch on you.

Drew

- winoweenie - 12-20-2005

Thoroughly agree. Some of the best P/Q wines I';ve ever enjoyed are from E&J. Lots of distributors haven't a clue when it comes to storing wines. We've educated them here in the valley by sending back baked juice by the case for credit. WW

- Bucko - 12-21-2005

2003 MacMurray Ranch, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, California, $17, 43,568 cases. This garnet-colored wine delivers aromas of black cherries, tomato leaf and smoky oak. You'll find loads of red and black fruit, integrated oak and earthy nuances in this impeccably balanced Pinot; 88/90.

Hotsie, maybe it is the earthiness or tomato leaf characters you question?

- hotwine - 12-21-2005

Buckster, I normally appreciate a bit of earthiness in a wine, so that wasn't a problem. And a tomato leaf note would have been OK, too. Think it was the very hot, Yucatan-style, food prep that clashed with the wine. In fact, can't think of a wine that could have handled that.... would have been better off with a Dos Equis.

- wdonovan - 12-21-2005

OK I concede with the following exception. Yes perhaps the distributor was to blame for a bait and switch but..... the greenness and effervescence should not have been in a wine that was released from the bottler. I may be wrong here but I don't think the distributor's responsible for aging wine and releasing it at (and not before) the proper time. I actually think that the tasted wine and the bought wine were really from the same year, just different batches. Bucko's description above is exactly what I tasted. That's why I bought a case. If the wine was released while very green, why wouldn't you blame Gallo? I'm not sure I get the "hold harmless" thing here. As far as having this happen from lots of other wineries to the point that I'd rule out 25% of wine producers, well.... this just has never happened to me. I've had lousy wine but I have never bought and opened a bottle that should have still been in "the womb". I am in the manufacturing business and I call this a crystal clear manufacturing defect. I am open to suggestions, though. Guess I don't concede as much as I originally thought, huh?

- Drew - 12-22-2005

Could be bottle variation. No different than an individual lot of anything that's produced in mass that could be recalled. I've seen this and other cases many times. The retailers I deal with always exchange or refund without question so it's no big deal for me. If a producers bottlings start showing poorly and not due to a bad vintage I'll cool on him til the next vintage. If he continues to show poorly then I cross him off the list. There's way too much wine out there.

Drew

- wdonovan - 12-22-2005

Really, you've seen this sort of thing? I couldn't imagine how a variation like this could show up. I thought if the wine is green, the wine is green. It's all green, not just one case or one truckload. I mistakenly thought that the wine would be ready for release before it left the winery. Hmmm.