WineBoard
Taking house pinot recommendations - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Taking house pinot recommendations (/thread-6684.html)

Pages: 1 2

- dananne - 10-22-2002

Have quite a few that I love at the $20 price point, but those aren't the "open just because it's Tuesday night" wines. Would like to find a sub $15. Thought I'd make Erath my house pinot, but the 2000 was somewhat disappointing and, around here, more expensive than the 1999 (climbing over $15).

Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

- Innkeeper - 10-22-2002

Here you go: http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum12/HTML/000110.html

- Thomas - 10-22-2002

I don't know if you can get it in Ga, but Ritratti produces a great Pinot Nero--we sell it at www.is-wine.com for $15. It is from Trentino.

If you like lighter versions, you can get a Sancerre Rouge at about $15.

- O'Doyle - 11-03-2002

I would highly recommend the 2000 Mondavi Coastal Noir "Private Selection".It unfolds an elegant layer of wild cherries,berries and aromatic spices.Warm oak finish.I bought a case of it when it when on sale.$9.99 a bottle, regular $13.99.I have seen it as high as $19.99.The first time I had it I was at a Steak house and paid $27.00 for the bottle.I do have to say that the glass you choice to drink this out of makes a difference.I use my Reidel Vinum Extreme glasses and it allows the aromas to breath.So if you have something similar you can't go wrong with this wine.Enjoy!!!

- wondersofwine - 11-04-2002

Welcome to the board. Hope to hear from you often.

- dananne - 11-04-2002

Thanks, all, for the responses. Will try some of those out and let you know how I enjoy them. The Mt. Eden is $10 at my local Kroger, so I'll start there.

Foodie -- was at the is-wine site over the weekend creating a little shopping list for the wife who is headed to NYC for business next week. She's going to be time crunched, but I'm trying to get her over there to pick some things up to bring back south. I'll point her to those two suggestions, and also to a few others I saw online (a madiran and a sparkling shiraz, to name two). Question for you -- I wanted her to bring back some NY pinot noir examples as I've yet to try any. I saw one on your site from the Finger Lakes winery Sheldrake. Do you carry any others not listed on the site to which I should direct her?

Thanks in advance, and, again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

- Thomas - 11-04-2002

Dananne, we are not carrying other NY Pinot Noirs, mainly because the price-value ratio isn't good. It is difficult for them to produce the stuff, and so they mainly charge a lot for it. The Sheldrake was a closeout on the 1999, which is why it is cheaper.

You ought to try that Ritratti Pinot Nero--it is stellar.

Make sure your wife identifies herself if she gets to is-wine.

- chittychattykathy - 11-04-2002

I second the Ritratti, very good!
Also try Hangtime from Byron, around 12-14 in WA, should be less in Cali.

- winoweenie - 11-05-2002

I've always ben partial to Sanford for P/Q Pinots. WW

- dananne - 04-07-2003

Over the past few days, my wife and I tried several "value pinots" and found one cheapie that we enjoyed -- Brancott Vineyards 2001 Pinot Noir (New Zealand). Pretty one-dimensional with ripe cherries and little else, but one can't expect too much from a $10 pinot (Whole Foods supermarket price). Nonetheless, was a pleasant easy drinker and would probably make for a nice, casual picnic wine or "hanging around the pool" pinot. Now, all I need is the pool . . .

- stevebody - 04-13-2003

Got to throw in the Cotes de Carneros from Carneros Creek (I think) Winery. GREAT flavor palate and always under $15.

Another, harder to find is the Flynn from Oregon, Seattle's fave little OR Pinot. Usually around $8 and REAL Pinot! Don't know how widely it's distributed.

- ShortWiner - 04-14-2003

If still relevant, I heartily third that Ritratti Pinot Nero.

- dananne - 07-07-2003

In my continuing efforts to find a nicely-priced value pinot that I can open just because it's Tuesday night, I had a 2001 Oregon pinot from Grayback. Great cherry flavors and nose, a touch of red spices, with some cola elements on the finish. Good varietal character, and not just a pleasant pinot-like, cherry-flavored sipper wine, as some of the other value pinots I've tried turned out to be. This one tastes more like a $20 pinot, but is only $10 at a new wine bar/shop here in Hotlanta. Wouldn't be fooled for a Ponzi or some such, but could certainly be confused with something like Benton Lane. 13.7 alc. Likely will become my house pinot for the summer.

- megawill - 07-08-2003

if you can find it try Castle Rock Pinot. Here is a link:

http://www.castlerockwinery.com/00press.htm

This wine has a floral nose and crisp cherry, vanilla and spice with a touch of oak. Very well balanced and you'll notice more of it's nuances and subtleties on the the 2nd and 3rd glass. This wine is a steal at 10-12 dollars per bottle.

---
megawill

[This message has been edited by megawill (edited 07-08-2003).]

- winoweenie - 07-09-2003

Hi there Megs and welcome to the board. Where the devil is North Liberty in Iowa? WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-09-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 07-09-2003

Looking at Mapquest, it appears to be about 16 - 18 miles south of Cedar Rapids.

- Thomas - 07-09-2003

At is-wine, we recently took in Apoyo Pinot Noir, a new release from the old Sabastiani clan. It is a Sonoma appellation: bright, medium-bodied, great strawberry fruit qualities, terrifically snappy acidity--I think we sell it for $13, but our Web site has the correct offering. This is a wine of merit.

- megawill - 07-10-2003

thanks for the welcome...

North Liberty is just outside Iowa City area (home of the University of Iowa) and a little south of Cedar Rapids Metro area...We are blessed with a couple of really nice wine shops in the area..

I've enjoyed wine for sometime..but have recently decided to take my interest to another level and now I'm developing a passion for wine...my current 'interests' include value priced Italian Reds (amano, Vitiano, De Majo Norante, etc.), Australian and South African Shiraz, and Domestic Pinots...

I enjoy the boards and hope to become an active participant to both learn and share...

regards,

---
megawill

[This message has been edited by megawill (edited 07-10-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 07-10-2003

Incidentally folks, Dan Berger recommended today as his Wine Of The Week, 2000 Beringer, Pinot Noir, California, Founder's Estate ($12). He was rather down on 2000 California Pinots in general. The last time I tried this one (a couple of years ago in a different vintage) it was not as good as the VME (Villa Mount Eden) at around the same price. Just might give the Beringer another shot.

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

Dananne, see my notes on 2001 Torii Mor Pinot Noir from Oregon under recent Wine Touring thread (Brett's Restaurant). The basic P.N. sells for $17 at the winery which I think is very reasonable for the quality. Have you had an opportunity to try it?