WineBoard
Burgundy vs. Pinot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Burgundy vs. Pinot (/thread-6681.html)

- Cowboyin Blake - 03-31-2005

I'm new and little confused. I read that Pinot graps are made to make Burgundy...so im confused as to what the diffrence between Pinot Noir and Burgundy is. Anyone out there know?

- Innkeeper - 03-31-2005

Pinot Noir is used to make Red Burgundy wines from Burgundy, France. American burgundy such as Hearty Burgundy is make from a field blend of red grapes.

so American Burgundy is considered Pinot Noir? Where as is it is french is just Burgundy? I am still a little confused by the diffrence between the two? and what is the general diffrence in taste of the two?

- hotwine - 03-31-2005

CB, "Burgundy" is both a region of France and a name for the style of wine that is produced in that region, using the Pinot Noir grape. "Pinot Noir" as a wine varietal is produced in Oregon, California, Washington State.... think I've also seen it from S. Africa.

It's also possible you'll see "Pinot Noir" on a label from France for a wine that was produced outside the "official" Burgundy appellation. For example, Maison Nicolas produces a wine labeled Pinot Noir as a Vin de Pays d'Oc, from the Languedoc region of southern France. Because it's produced outside of Burgundy, French law prohibits it being labeled as Burgundy.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 03-31-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 03-31-2005

Forget about American Burgundy. Let's start over. True Burgundy is made in the Burgundy region of France where Pinot Noir is the principal grape for red wines and rose' wines and Chardonnay is the principal grape for white wines. The Pinot Noir grape is also widely grown in other parts of the world such as Australia, New Zealand, California, Oregon, the Finger Lakes area of New York, Germany (where it is called Spatburgunder), etc.
In France the wines are usually labeled by region (Burgundy, Rhone, Loire, Languedoc, Champagne, Bordeaux, etc.). In the United States the grape varietal is named (Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, etc.) as well as region (Napa, Sonoma, Finger Lakes, Virginia, Washington, Carneros, Russian River Valley, Central Coast, etc.).
American Pinot Noir is from the same grape varietal as red Burgundy wines. Different clones of the grape are used alone or in blends. Climate, soil, vineyard practices (whether grapevines are trellised, how much is cropped before or during the growing season, etc., exposure to sunshine) have great impact on the grapes. Winemaking practices also impact the final product. A Pinot Noir produced in California or Oregon is unlikely to taste similar to a wine produced in Burgundy (although some seem to be getting closer to that taste). Some people will prefer the taste of the French wines and some will prefer the taste of the American (or Australian, New Zealand, etc.) wines. I like the better examples of both.

THANKS EVERYONE! NOW I THINK I GOT IT!

- RJonesUSC - 03-31-2005

Yes, thank you for that explaination. Being new to drinking wine that was very helpful.

- winoweenie - 04-03-2005

AYYA' GIRL WOW. WELL WRITTEN AND 'SPLAINED.WW