WineBoard
Russian River Pinot Noir flight at Bonterra Restaurant - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Russian River Pinot Noir flight at Bonterra Restaurant (/thread-6450.html)

- wondersofwine - 05-31-2005

I was going to try the new Ratcliff on the Green Restaurant in Charlotte over Memorial Day weekend but they had a gas leak and closed down for a couple days. They transfered my reservation to their sister restaurant Bonterra (in a former church).
I had the appetizer portion (about 4 oz.) of fried lobster tail in a honeyflower and soy reduction with sweet and sour mustard aioli. The aioli sauce was delicious and the lobster had a crispy outer coat and was tender inside. The menu also had a Maine lobster risotto. Also ordered a spread of bits of smoked salmon in a soft Sonoma goat cheese with dill, served with crostinis, and as entree, duck breast with pomegranate sauce with wild mushroom gnocchi, parsnips and pearl onions. Received complimentary rosemary foccacio with olive/butter spread.
Could only eat half the entree and no dessert after the appetizer and crostinis.
Flight of Russian River Pinot Noir (4) $16.00 2 oz. of each wine
They also offered a tempting Zinfandel flight, one comparing Oregon white wines to French, Sauvignon Blanc from different regions, etc.
All the wines were purple red. The Merry Edwards was a little more dense than the MacMurray Ranch.
2002 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir--legs on side of glass. Plums and plumskins and violets on the nose. More of a finish than a midpalate. Smooth. Nice with the duck breast and wild mushrooms. Not so great with the goat cheese and salmon spread. One of my two favorites of the flight of four.

2003 MacMurray Ranch--more dark cherry than plum on the nose. More on midpalate and finish than density would indicate. Slightly ethereal high cherry note. Lingonberries on the palate. As the waiter suggested--nice on its own--suffers in comparison to the rest of the flight.

2002 Lynmar Pinot Noir--denser and darker than the MacMurray; densest of the four.
A bit tannic on the finish--probably sees more wood than the first two or more extraction maybe with grape stems included.
Maybe some cranberry on the palate. It grew on me--my least favorite on first impression but improves with airing. When the waiter asked my favorites and I said I thought maybe the Lynmar had more wood treatment, he said "Well it's not heavy but it does have something."

2002 Frei Brothers Pinot Noir (my other favorite of the four.) Nice plummy bouquet. Less dense than Merry Edward or Lynmar. Dark fruits, pine needles on nose with a touch of forest floor. Plums and dark cherries on the palate. Well made. Nor sour or overly acidic. (Dananne might like this one). Some soft tannins. Perhaps the best with the wild mushrooms although Merry Edwards was also a good match.

You'll find my dessert wine under New York thread.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-02-2005).]

- dananne - 05-31-2005

Thanks for the notes! Sounds like a nice evening.

BTW, we had the Merry Edwards last night -- and didn't get it at a restaurant, either (long story there that can wait). I'll post a TN on it tomorrow.