WineBoard
2002 Penner Ash Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Penner Ash Pinot Noir (/thread-6392.html)

- dananne - 05-23-2005

Willamette Valley.

Posted on the lovely '01 recently, and off that high, found out that Anne bought me a case of the '02 for an early 10th anniversary gift (anni on June 10th). I am a very lucky guy.

Decanted it for 30 minutes before 1st pour, and I'd recommend that at this point, as this wine needs a bit of time to open up past the tart strawberries and show itself. Ruby color. Nose developed into black cherry, with nice depth and complexity of flavors, with the fruit mingling with red spices, earth, barnyard, and a touch of smokiness on the long finish. A touch of tannins that should help carry this one a few years down the pike, which is good, as I intend to see how it develops over the years. I told Anne that we'd have it on our anniversaries over the next 10, but she (probably rightly) feels that we won't be able to keep our hands off it in the meanwhile. A beauty (Anne and the wine). Alc. 13.9%. It runs about $40-45.

- dananne - 08-15-2005

Unfortunately, Anne had to work all weekend, then leave for Orlando this morning, so I surprised her and popped a bottle of this last night. It was kind of funny in Willamette. Wherever we went, there was a reverential, almost awed deference shown to three winemakers -- Ken Wright, Patricia Green, and Lynn Penner-Ash. Everyone especially gushed over Lynn, who is evidently as good a person as she is a winemaker. Anyway, no change in the TN, other than to say I noticed more of a floral element on the nose this time. Glad Anne found me a case here in Atlanta, as there was none to be found in Oregon, and the new winery/tasting room wasn't open during the days we visited.

- dananne - 03-04-2006

Had another last night while watching Pride & Prejudice on DVD (it's not just that I'm a romantic, I'm also an English teacher, so it was just like work . . . really . . . ). Anyway, still enjoyable and Anne was correct (as she too-often is) when she said it still needs another year or two to really hit stride. If you pop one now, splash decant.

- brappy - 03-04-2006

Definately not making it 10 yrs. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- dananne - 04-22-2006

First of all, Brappy is correct -- at this rate, we won't have any left in 10 years. Bad, bad Dan and Anne.

Second, what a difference a month makes. Well, that or following my own advice and splash decanting. Or, possibly it's coming out of a short dumb phase. Whatever it was, this bottle was beautiful. Plush, stunning fruit that is picking up a pomegranate element, lithe PN texture, acidity that carries through to a finish that includes subtle barnyard and pine needle. Gosh, this was yummy. One of the best bottles of wine we've had in a year. If this is any indication of where this is heading, then it will be right up there in lofty Ken Wright territory soon.

- TheEngineer - 04-24-2006

Just ordered a half case of this from my local pusher (through Classic wines). They are now into their 2004's (02 and 03's have been sold out....for quite some time.....guess it's kinda popular around these here parts too.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] About $50 per bottle in MA

Thanks for the recommend.

- dananne - 01-01-2007

After the Patz & Hall disaster, we had to pop something to redeem the NY Evening. This did the trick wonderfully. This thing just keeps getting better and better.

- dananne - 12-13-2007

Had another last night, partly to celebrate Anne's day, which saw her arguing a case in front of the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. It has mellowed with the additional bottle aging, offering a lighter, more transparent ruby color, with the nose and flavors showing red berries and cinnamon. The finish is slightly spicy, and there are still traces of light, dusty tannins on the finish. Lovely wine, and it's now starting to enter the optimal drinking window, we think. Anne was very happy with it. It'll probably continue drinking well for about 3-5 years before starting a slow decline, but it's still not at the point where the primary flavors are turning over to the secondary ones. Lots of life here, with good acidity that will help it along it's merry way. We may open another around the holidays. Clearly the initial idea to drink it over 10 years is out the door at this point. It's too good to sit on, wine is made to be consumed, and we've got too little cellar space left (particularly after this summer's trip to Cali). Plus, at some point, we're going to have to move along to the '04s and '05s!

- wondersofwine - 12-19-2007

Came upon this note a few days later. Congratulations to Anne on her appearance before the Circuit Court of Appeals. Before I knew about Ken Wright, I was at a restaurant in Charlottesville and ordered a Patricia Green Pinot off the wine list. They were out of that and brought a Ken Wright as a substitute. I was annoyed that they brought a different wine without consulting me first and really had wanted to try a Patricia Green wine so refused it and ordered a Burgundy in its place. Still haven't had any Patricia Green, Ken Wright or Lynn Penner-Ash! Must remedy that soon.

- winoweenie - 12-19-2007

Eyes mite be OPENED!!WW

- dananne - 12-19-2007

Jane, we're going to have to fix that situation soon. The next time we're able to get together, I'll make sure of it!

BTW, I've been told to pass along a "Happy Holidays" from Anne, and that not only extends to you, but to all the folks on here!