WineBoard
Can one have two Pinotultimate tastings without an ultimate tasting? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Can one have two Pinotultimate tastings without an ultimate tasting? (/thread-6354.html)

- wondersofwine - 01-17-2008

Returned to Enoteca Vin in Raleigh Wednesday evening to meet with a German wine expert from another wine board. They were still running the 12 Pinot Noirs special so I sampled five 3-oz. pours again. I repeated the Joseph Swan but had others I hadn't tried yet. David had one that I didn't try, the Longoria from Santa Rita Hills and it was one of his favorites along with the "Les Petites Vougeots" from Fourrier. I did sniff the glass of the Longoria and it was very attractive. May see if Carolina Wine Company has any left for sale.

I had the mushroom risotto with shaved parmesan cheese again but went with herb-stuffed lamb and flageolot beans for my entree and shared a bit of David's cheese plate. (He had tuna sashimi and braised short rib with red cabbage.)

I didn't take notes this time but my favorites were the Joseph Swan Trenton Estate Pinot Noir and the Donum Estate, Carneros (vintage not listed on the advertisement and I didn't keep the winelist from the restaurant.) This wine received 95 points from the Connoisseur's Guide. I thought the 2005 Brewer-Clifton "Rio Vista" from Santa Rita Hills, CA seemed a bit high on the alcohol at first taste. It did improve some with airing and accompanying food. The 2005 Cristom "Eileen" from Eola-Amity Hills, Oregon was fine but I think of these wines as overpriced (about $50 for current releases.) I would rather shop for a red Burgundy at that price point.
The 2003 Leflaive Volnay "Santenots", Burgundy was perhaps atypical due to the hot summer in Europe that year. I liked it pretty well but David thought it became less attractive as it aired while the 2002 Fourrier Vougeot "Les Petites Vougeots" grew more attractive. I liked the Volnay better than David did.

The 2004 Donum Estate Carneros was the vintage that received 95 points from Connoisseur Guide (and 92 from Wine Spectator) so probably that was the one I had. I'm surprised to read on the website that it carried 14.5% alcohol because the Brewer-Clifton in the same flight seemed "hotter " to me. The 2004 Donum Carneros was an early harvest starting near the end of August. 800 cases made. The estate charges $60 a bottle for the 2004 and $65 for the 2005 (ouch!) To me it seemed well balanced and fruity and elegant--not hot or heavy or overpowering. I noticed that all the wines seemed to have pleasant Pinot Noir fragrances with the Longoria and Joseph Swan maybe standing out on that score.

On the Brewer-Clifton website I couldn't find the alcohol percentage for the "Rio Vista" I tried. Their wines are sold mostly to restaurants and those who have been on their mailing list for several years. Some bottles are found on wine-searcher.com at $50 or $60 or $70. Brewer-Clifton specializes in vineyard-designated Chardonnay and Pinot Noir and Greg Brewer is also the winemaker for Melville.

I'm glad I could try such a variety over two evenings without springing for a bottle at $50 and up!

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-18-2008).]