WineBoard
Grenouilleau - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Grenouilleau (/thread-6261.html)

- ghavenga - 09-24-2000

A friend gave me a few bottles of wine from his cellar (which he inherited from the previous owner - who did not want to take the collection with him - silly sod!).

Anyhow, neither one of us know much about the wine this guy collected.

I'm not that knowledgable about wine, but I have some other friends who _are_ (one is/was a wine steward - and yes, I'm going to ask him too). So, I do not know great wine by vintage and appellation, but I do know great wine when I taste it (due largely to these guys) - and have had inexpensive wines that were great and been blown away by some of the truly exeptional (and more expensive) ones.

SO. I just consumed a bottle of what I think is a cheapo - but it was rather quaffable, none the less. Not a fantabulous wine, but pretty tasty. The bottle says...

GRENOUILLEAU
Entre-Deux-Mers
White Table Wine (it was more rose, actually)
Appellation Entre-Deux-Mers Controle
White Bordeaux Wine
Aurelien Grenouilleau
Negociant A Sainte-Foy-La-Grande Gironde-France

I don't think this is something I would want to run out and buy for myself, rather, I'm just curious to know about what I just consumed - and where it came from. The web site for Grenouilleau (www.bxwine.com) went dark sometime in June according to one of the links I found.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

- mrdutton - 09-24-2000

Welcome to the Wine board. Use your search-engine and enter Entre-Duex-Mers (which means "between two seas") and you will find a lot of source information on the area. I found several very interesting sites, most with choices for either English or French language pages; too many to list here.

For a bit of information take a look at the thread immediately after this one. There is a little bit of information there about Entre-Deux-Mers.

Your wine is a 1982 White Bordeaux from the Entre-Deux-Mers department of France which is a part of the region of Bordeaux. It appears that it was named after the person who had the wine produced. It appears that the wine is probably a blend from various vineyards produced in the Entre-Deux-Mers AOC by a single negociant - Aurelien Grenouilleau who has his "offices" in Gironde.

Generally speaking 1982 was an excellant year for Bordeaux wines.

I sure hope this helps a little.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 09-24-2000).]

- ghavenga - 09-24-2000

Thanks for the really prompt reply.

I used AltaVista and Google to look for various combinations of the terms Grenouilleau, "Entre Deux Mers", and "Entre-Deux-Mers" - which is how I found THIS wonderful site! However, I could not find any information that directly referenced this particular label.

I'm wondering if they guy that built the cellar didn't have a friend that was pointing him towards inexpensive, obscure, yet interesting wines. Of the six bottles my friend gave me, there has been an interesting assortment wines. One was some Eastern European wine that was spectacularly unremarkable, but a couple of these wines have been pretty good. There was a '77 Trentadue Early Burgundy that was mighty tasty.

Anyhow, thanks for the info!

Greg