WineBoard
Extenuating circu-perhappenstances - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Extenuating circu-perhappenstances (/thread-626.html)

- winoweenie - 04-11-2001

IK, Drew, Hotsie, MrD Et Al,As you know, yesserday I falled. Let me not so briefly outline. Sunday my buddy that runs Safeways meat dept called and said he had the best looking pork shoulder he'd seen all year. I had him de-bone and cut it into 9 ribs approx 2" thick. Each was over a lb. Then Sunday I put them dudes in a marinade consisting of orange juice, lemon juice(fresh squozed from the back yard), worschestshire sauce, fresh minced garlic, fresh lemon basil & fennel(from back yard), ground pepper,and a kiss of tobasco. After 2 days in this juice I took them suckers out, patted 'em dry, them put the rub-a-dubdub of Penzys BBQ of the Americas & West Indies BBQ. Fired up the ole' smoker wif' mesquite charcoal and a gob of hickory and pecan chips. After 9 hours ( 7-4) and after my breakfast of stupid Slim Fast, the good news kept comin'. Child Bride impishly leaned over my shoulder and said" Been in town long Sailor?" or sumpin' to that effect and I replied " TO THE CELLAR !!!" I think I reported on the 2 luncheon bottles, but when I took the ribs and put them on the grill for 5 minutes per side, I opened a botle of Biale Old Crane Zin that was a match made in the Cirrus area with them ribs. So tender that they fell apart and the best example of the art I've experienced. Any-whos, today it's back to the stupid slim fast and water. And to clarify, this message was posted by WW and is not from the pen of the meticulous Innkeeper.hehehe. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-11-2001).]

- hotwine - 04-12-2001

WW, I've read this posting several times, and keep coming back to it for the really nice images it conjures up. I poked fun at you on another thread for using mesquite instead of oak in your smoker, but that's all it was. I'm impressed with the time and care you put into preparing that wonderful meal. So many people seem to think "outdoor grilling" means pushing a button on a propane burner and getting it over with in 10 minutes or less; the whole idea of spending an entire day preparing a meal would be horrifying to them. They don't understand what it's all about - that barbequeing takes time, and lots of it, or you wind up with trimmings from your saddlemaker's floor. And just look at all of that wunnerful juice they could enjoy, if they just took the time to do it right!

Congrats on what must have been a really wonderful meal.

- winoweenie - 04-12-2001

Tank Youse Hotsie-poo muchly. I use 50% Regular and 50% mesquite charcoal so as not to overpower the hickory and pecan chips. And yes, Iffn' I does says so my-very-own-self, this was BBQ Nirvana. As far as the ribbin'goes, back here in the desert they call me " Ole' Rhino Skin ". WW

- Innkeeper - 04-12-2001

Did sound like a barby to die for. Who ribs anyone around here anyway. "Ole Lobster Shell."