WineBoard
Chicken Parisienne - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Chicken Parisienne (/thread-619.html)

- Trudster - 02-16-2005

We are going to friends house for dinner this weekend and they are serving this dish. I would like to take a bottle of wine to enjoy with dinner but I am really unsure of what would be good with this dish. Can someone please help me out? Thanks

- wondersofwine - 02-16-2005

First, welcome to this wine board. Come back often.
A quick Google check shows that common ingredients in Chicken Parisienne are the chicken, mushrooms or mushroom soup, sour cream and white wine, sherry or vermouth. I think a white wine might be a safe accompaniment--maybe a Macon wine from France or a German Riesling Kabinett or Alsace Riesling. An Australian Chardonnay which says "unoaked" or "unwooded" would also be okay but might be difficult to find.
The Alsace Riesling or German Riesling Kabinett might be easier to locate.
We just had a discussion of wine etiquette on another thread where someone had planned wines to go with the dinner he was hosting only to be told that a friend was bringing wine. Suggest you call the host or hostess and offer to bring wine and ask if they have a preference or want to leave it to you or if they have already selected a wine to serve their guests.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-16-2005).]

- Trudster - 02-16-2005

THANK YOU So much. I am completely clueless when it comes to which wine with what dish. I so appreciate your advice. I have contacted my friends and asked them and am waiting their reply. I just thought I would get a heads up on what to bring if that is the case.

This get to gether is a surprise to my husband and he has no clue who we are going to see. It should be a fun evening!!!

Thank you again

- Thraz - 02-17-2005

Trudster,

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but my question is related to the other thread on the Wine/Affinities board that wondersofwine mentioned. I am trying to figure out if most people, when they bring wine to a dinner, expect it to be opened that night. So here is my question (again, it's a candid question): I note that you are bringing a wine that will go well with the meal you are invited to. If you did not discuss this with the host ahead of time, would you normally expect the host to open your wine that night? If not, and if the host thanks you for your wine and does not open it, will you feel perfectly fine or slightly miffed? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Thraz (edited 02-17-2005).]

- Trudster - 02-17-2005

I guess it would depend on the level of friends, at least in my opinion, if the bottle of wine did not get opened that evening I don't think I would get upset. It is a gift to the host and/or hostess. However, I usually ask beforehand if it is okay to bring the wine as my contribution to the dinner cuz they wouldn't let me bring anything else. I even offered to bring dessert and they refused.

So in answer to your question, if it was a gift then I really shouldn't be offended if they didn't open it that evening. They might have provided a sufficient amount of wine for the evening so it is not needed.
One might wait,if not prearranged, to see if there is sufficient wine for the entire party before presenting the host/hostess with the bottle that was brought. It seems a little selfish and pennypincher to not offer the wine as a gift but who am I to say. I hope that I did not offend.

Sorry this is so long and I hope this helps to answer your question.
Trudster

- Thraz - 02-17-2005

Many thanks - and I agree with you.

Incidentally, for the chicken parisienne dish, my suggestion would be a white sancerre. Enjoy the evening.

- Trudster - 02-17-2005

Thank you and I will definitely try your suggestion

- Trudster - 02-19-2005

Dinner last night was the greatest.
The wine I chose was the Reisling. It is a locally made wine brand that I chose. Firelands Winery from Sandusky Ohio.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!!

Trudste

- wondersofwine - 02-25-2005

It's good to try local wines. Glad you had a good time at the dinner.