WineBoard
Not a textbook pairing, but who cares? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Not a textbook pairing, but who cares? (/thread-617.html)

- hotwine - 01-17-2001

Grilled chicken breasts with olive oil & garlic, baked spuds with more garlic, fresh spinach salad with still more garlic & olive oil. The wine was a 1999 A'Mano Primitivo (Puglia, Mark Shannon, Winemaker). Superb! Nice fruity nose backed up with good solid structure and interesting fruit nuances.
I'd call it the Southern Italy equivalent of a Languedoc, but with so much more character than the wines of that French region that I have tried. At only $9.99, it's reason to forget the rulebook; IMO this wine will pair with anything!

- mrdutton - 01-17-2001

Well if that is the case...... If I can find it, I'll buy it.

Then we'll see how it fairs with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts.......

If it makes it past them two, then you might be right about it being very food friendly....... (GRIN)

- Drew - 01-18-2001

Where you guys been? I've been touting the A'Mano Primativo for ever although I think it's more Zin like than Rhone like.

Drew

- Thomas - 01-18-2001

The A Mano (and many other) Primitivi sometimes comes off with a little spice, although I agree they are more like Zinfandel--kind of like Zinfandel blended with Syrah. The fruit of those wines from southern Italy (Primitivi, Copertini, Salici) is outstanding.

- hotwine - 01-18-2001

While sippin' that Primitivo last night, I was thinking how nicely it marries with olive oil. And that made me wonder: what's the gang's recommendation for an everyday olive oil? We use Bertolli's Extra Virgin, because it's cheap at Sam's when purchased in bulk, but it's a little short on flavor. Any suggestions?

- winoweenie - 01-18-2001

Hotsie out here in the west we be blessed wif` a company called Trader Joes. They are a combo of a gourmet house product and Sams` Club pricing. They have some wonderful X-Tra Virgies from both Calif and Italy at 2,99 to 4.99 per litre. Thet should have a web site that you unendowed mite use. They also have the best selection of domestic and imported cheeses in the whole ever-lovin`-put-together and at prices that makes Price Club look like Tiffanys. And you guys were plottin` to put me out to pasture whilst I be out of town. hehe. WW If you can`t find the site repost and I`ll look it up fer yer`. I know Drew has problems wif` these difficult `puter probs.

- hotwine - 01-18-2001

Hehe. Thanks, WW. I usually don't have 'puter probs.

- Drew - 01-18-2001

The last time I tried to prob a 'puter my wife threatened me with arrest!

- Thomas - 01-19-2001

Hotwine, a terrific everyday olive oil (of the virgin kind) is Colavita. It has been family-operated out of NYCity and shipped from Italy for a couple of generations; the quality is superb; the price equals Bertoli.

- hotwine - 01-19-2001

Thanks, guys. Foodie, I'll check for the Colavita locally. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

- Innkeeper - 01-19-2001

Have always been partial to Spanish olive oil; sorry Foodie. Therefore we use Goya for everyday OO.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-19-2001).]

- Scoop - 01-19-2001

Going back to the Primitivo, I had a tremendous one by the glass the other night at Enoteca I Trulli: the Primitivo di Manduria 1998, Vinicola Savese, Puglia. Deep, dark ruby and rich, and redolent of dried plums (er, prunes) with spicy notes, this is one serious Primitivo, full of complexity. It's drinking now, but it will certainly develop for a while.

Cheers,

Scoop

- hotwine - 01-19-2001

Hmm. Found the Colavita for $12/lt, but that's about 4 times the price of Bertolli, which is $6 for a 2-lt jug. There may be quite a dfference in quality. Will also look for the Goya; thanks. BTW, picked up a case of the A'Mano Primitivo; couldn't resist!

- Innkeeper - 01-19-2001

Last night we picked up a mixed case at Tanza Southway Liquors in Fall River. They gave us 20% off everything including other sale pices, and, of course, no TAX in MA! Included were two 1999 Il Vescovo, Primitivo that ran $5.59 ea after sale price and discount. Anyone familiar with this one?

- hotwine - 01-19-2001

Wow, they were sure treating you right! And what a price for a Primitivo!

- Thomas - 01-21-2001

Hotwine, I assume you got the Colavita Extra Virgin and the Bertoli regular, or whatever they call it. How can a virgin be extra virgin? Don't ask!

IK, most olive oil in this country is Spanish, especially the ones packed in Italy. Didn't you read my book????

But the Spanish like their olive oil on the rancid side, which I do not. Colavita conforms to my standards, and they do it without ever having consulted with me, which I really like about them. ...

- Innkeeper - 01-21-2001

Yes Foodie, read the book. However, the Spanish olive oil that is made to be packed in Italy is made in the Italian style. Goya is made in the non-rancid Spanish style, and is just fine for everyday use.

- Innkeeper - 09-13-2003

Finished tonight a wonderful day to day OO that we picked up at a Costco in Altamonte Springs, FL in April. Just opened it last month. It cost $7 or $8 per liter. It is called, now bear with me, Kirkland Signature, Extra Virgin Olive Oil Toscano. The rest of the label says, "From Tuscany, November/December 2002 Harvest, Maximum acidity .5%." We kept it on the counter during use, and it never turned rancid. It was sort of halfway between a buttery and a typical OO flavor. Great for cooking, we did not use it in salad dressing. If they still have it at Costco or elsewhere, we highly recommend it for day to day use.

- Drew - 09-13-2003

Good...Googily...Mougily Carl, how do you ever remember these threads?????

Drew