WineBoard
What to serve with lobster? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What to serve with lobster? (/thread-606.html)

- Catleen - 02-11-2001

Hi,

My husband and I are having a light supper (after the kids are in bed!) for Valentine's Day this year. We will be having lobster and possibly a little fruit, and I was wondering what to serve with it. We were hoping to stay below $30 and were thinking about champagne or a sparkling wine. Would this be a good choice? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance....

- Innkeeper - 02-11-2001

If you eat lobster like we do here in Maine, there will be some butter involved. The best way to handle lobster and butter with a white wine is with a little sweetness, and we do mean a little. A slightly off dry riesling such as a Mosel Spatlese or a Rheingau Kabinett would be well within your budget, but you could save money with an American Riesling in the 1.5% residual sugar range from the Finger Lakes, California, or the Northwest.

If you are hard on the bubbly idea, an Extra Dry Champagne or California Sparkler would be the best bet. Extra Dry is just a little sweeter than Brut. Moet & Chandon White Star Extra Dry is a steady among mass producers, but an offering from a smaller producer can be more satisfying at the same price. Among Californians look for Iron Horse and Schramsberg.

If no butter is involved, ignor all the above and go with a dry riesling, preferably from Alsace or Austria; or a Brut Champagne.

- Catleen - 02-11-2001

Thanks for the suggestions, Innkeeper. Yes, there will definitely be butter invovled, so I think we'll go with your Reisling suggestion. I do have another question... Our wine knowledge is rather limited, and I've heard that a Gewurztraminer would be a good choice, too. Would you agree with this advice? Are the two somewhat similar? Our experiences with both varietals is almost nonexistant -- could you give a little info on them or tell me where I could do a little research on my own?

Thanks again!

- Innkeeper - 02-11-2001

Although some of our folks would go with the gewurz, we think it's spicyness would get in the way of the relatively delicate taste of the lobster. Regarding the riesling, it is unfortunate that this most verstile of white wines frequently gets little attention in American wine stores. Therefore, pick a large one and ask for advice for specific bottlings in accordance with the guidelines above.

- Catleen - 02-11-2001

OIC... We'll go with the Reisling and look for one that meets the guidelines you mention.

Thanks for the advice and the explanation!

- mrdutton - 02-11-2001

Catleen, welcome to the wine board. When I read your post (before reading the answers) the first thought that crossed my mind was Riesling and the second thought that crossed my mind was Champagne or a good California Sparkler. All this before I read IK's reply to your posting. (I REALLY like the Iron Horse and the Schramsberg that IK suggested.)

IK is right-on with his suggestions. I'd like to add a third. Try a fine Chablis with your lobster. You might like that choice also.

- Drew - 02-12-2001

Catleen, try the 1998 Banrock Station "unwooded" Chardonnay from Australia. We have plenty here locally for $7 per bottle and you should not have trouble locating it.

Drew

- winecollector - 02-12-2001

I'd go with the chardonnay as well.... either that or a good Grunner Veltliner, such as Heidler if you could find it

- Catleen - 02-13-2001

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone.
We'll have to try the Banrock Station Chardonnay mentioned by Drew in the future.

[This message has been edited by Catleen (edited 03-02-2002).]