WineBoard
1961 Chateau Beychevelle - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 1961 Chateau Beychevelle (/thread-6029.html)

- JenniferM - 12-29-2004

We are considering opening a 1961 Chateau Beychevelle (St Julien) and were wondering how long to breathe the wine before serving. The friend who gifted us this wine suggests 24 hours. Another opinion we received suggested this was too long and that we risked the wine deteriorating and that perhaps 3 hours was better; can anyone advise further on this?

Additionally, what food would be a suitable pairing? We are having some family in for a few hours, but not long enough for a meal-- would pate work as something to serve with this?

- dananne - 12-29-2004

Hi, and welcome to the board. I'm sure some of the regulars will chime in, and some may disagree with this, but I wouldn't decant it until shortly before serving it. I'd rather have it evolve with airing during drinking than have it fade and lose the fruit before even drinking it.

Stand it upright for 24 hours before opening it so that the sediment will settle in the bottom. Carefuly draw the cork and pour in one steady movement so that the sediment doesn't slosh around. Some people use filters and even cloth to catch the sediment during the decanting, but certainly pour with a light shining through from underneath and stop pouring when the sediment approaches the neck.

I'll let others handle appropriate pairings.

Should make for a wonderful evening! Have fun!

- Innkeeper - 12-29-2004

Dan is spot on. As much as I'm a wine with food person, would not recommend any food at this time. Just concentrate on getting the wine as cleanly and quickly to your guests and self. Also, if food was involved, you would have to have another wine in reserve, if this one is over the hill.

- JenniferM - 12-29-2004

Thanks for recommendations. We probably will decant and now thinking back I am guessing that what the person who gave it to us meant to say was, as you indicated, stand the bottle up for 24 hours-- we had been baffled and argued amongst overselves last evening about letting a wine this old breathe so long.

Looking forward to this and will let you know how it drinks.

- hotwine - 12-29-2004

That could be quite a wine. I'd offer some munchies with it.... a Romano cheese with water crackers would be just enough without affecting the nose and palate of the wine.

- winoweenie - 12-29-2004

Hi jennifer and welcome to the board. Had this wine in the late 70s' or early 80s' and my memory of the wine was that it was almost ready. The advice given by Dananne is rite. Carefully decant, pour and start sipping ASAP. Twas a great vintage. WW

- Bucko - 12-29-2004

Wines this old tend to fade over 15-30 minutes once opened, so drink fairly soon after pulling the cork, as others have so adroitly stated.