WineBoard
1990 PichonLongeville-Comtesse de Lalande - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 1990 PichonLongeville-Comtesse de Lalande (/thread-5910.html)

- lushia - 06-22-1999

Three days ago, I had the pleasure of tasting a properly cellared 1990 Chateau Latour. Yesterday I had the Lalande. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed the Lalande much more than the Latour.

In my region this wine is still available for about $70 retail. It is a magnificent wine with a still huge flavor and an intoxicating nose. The tannins are very refined and very complex. It was a bigger, tougher wine than the very well blended Latour, and I found it more to my particular taste. Over the next ten years it should be just fine and perhaps may develop even more. If the 1990 Pichon Longeville Comtesse de Lalande is available at a reasonable price in your area, I suggest picking up a case of this magnificent wine.

- Bucko - 06-23-1999

Pichon Lalande is a second growth that is certainly worthy of first growth status.

Bucko

- hncjc - 06-23-1999

Wait about 20 years and repeat the tasting. I bet the Latour will come out on top. Pichon Lalande can be great wine. But almost no Bordeaux ages like Latour.

- Van The Man - 08-15-1999

Lushia -

The '90 Pichon Lalande has been a controversial wine indeed. Many say they Chateau disappointed in '90 and that the '89 is a much better wine.

I happen to be in you camp on this wine. And because the critics continue to rip the wine, it continues to be "reasonably" priced.

I bought a case and then some at $35 or so a bottle and am VERY glad I did. I have a fair stock of '86, '88, '89, '90, '94, '95 and '96 and think that the '90 is a very, very good wine which will drink well over the next 10 years and while the '86, '89, '95 and '96 continue to develop.

Nice note!

- Kcwhippet - 03-25-2008

We had this same wine with the braised lamb shanks on Sunday. Too bad it was our last bottle because I think it still had the stamina to go another 2 or 3. What a delicious wine!! I poured off some to the top in a 187 bottle and brought it into the shop yesterday and the consensus is that it is still a luscious drink!

- TheEngineer - 03-25-2008

$35 a bottle................

- winoweenie - 03-25-2008

To the brave .... the rewards are great!!!!!WW

- wdonovan - 03-26-2008

I've had this, liked it and am envious that I couldn't get a bunch at $35, especially after seeing Eng's spreadsheet showing what 2 cases would look like at this price.

- Kcwhippet - 03-26-2008

My notes say I paid $345.60 for the case I got, which works out to $32 a bottle less the 10% case discount. Interestingly, about two or three years after I got it, I was offered some at $140 a bottle net. I passed.