WineBoard
2000 Vintage - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Vintage (/thread-5909.html)

- stevebody - 03-03-2003

We had a tasting of eleven 2000 Bordeaux at Esquin in Seattle last week - at $40 a person. The wines ranged in price from $32 a bottle up to $235 per. Our customers who attended were seriously underwhelmed. One guy who is a VP at Starbucks, right down the block from us, said, when I asked him what he thought, "These are old folks' wines."

I actually thought that the wines were more interesting than any of thge past four vintages and a bit larger across the board. As hard as we primped for this thing, it was a huge disappointment, since these were people who have many thousands of Bordeauxes in lockers in our storage area. I know what the press is on the vintage but that's wine writers. Buyer beware, as always. This may well wind up being a controversial vintage.

- joeyz6 - 03-04-2003

I think I already posted on this at the beginning of my time here, but people here are less excited about the 2000 Bordeaux vintage than Americans seem to be. They certainly think that it will be a very good year but I haven't seen as much enthusiasm as the American critics have displayed.

Slightly different story in the Languedoc-Roussillon region, where I was told that 2000 was phenomenal and will be the standard for years to come.

- Innkeeper - 03-04-2003

You should have had the event ten years from now.

- Glass_A_Day - 03-04-2003

Ditto on IK's response. Those wines are nowhere near ready and unless you know what your looking for like Suckling or RP, you have no shot of getting anything out of tasting them. When you see the big two giving out 100 point scores on many bottles, you know it's a good vintage. I have a Latour and a Lafite first growth and a few seconds tucked away for 2020 or so. I'm sure the time will fly...

- wondersofwine - 03-04-2003

2000 also appears to be a pretty good vintage in Burgundy. I will post more under the Pinot Noir thread when I find the time.

- winoweenie - 03-04-2003

Think there are, like all intangible questions, different approaches. There are lots of lesser growths and Bordeaux Superiors that will drink swimmingly after a little rest. Not quite as precocious as the 1982 vintage, but IMHO very close. I've drunk enough California Cabs that I have a good idea the quality of the juice even out of barrel. The reason I like the 2000 Bordeauxs' is because they are atypical. My jaded ole' palate understands them fairly well and I think they, like the 82s' are gonna' make for some keen drinking. I bought a few 95s' on futures, no 88, 89, or 90s' even tho the big guys raved about'em. Guess they're good wines, but not my cup of grapes. Just don't see the 2000s' dissapointing. WW

- Ray Hom - 03-15-2003

I have been tasting the new 2000 vintage, mainly the 3rd and smaller producers. The first growths are no here yet. The reds have been very nice wines and I am also liken them to the '82 which we have drank many. Unlike the older vintage, I find that these wines are not as big as the 82 and have softer tannins and are very approachable now. Of the ones we have tasted, I prefer the Chateau Rauzan Gassis Grand Cru Classe from Margaux. It is medium price at around $35.00 to $40.00. I would also consider the Chateau Destieux Grand Cru from St. Emilion as a good choice at about $25.00 to $28.00. It did not have the fruit to go along with the tannins. I would celler it for 5 to 8 years. I also tried the 1998 and 1999 Leouville Barton and it was wonderful. I have not tasted a '61 and cannot compare them to the 2000. I understand that Costco has bought a lot of the futures. Good hunting Ray Hom

- winoweenie - 07-21-2009

Well this is a thread from the past I found while trying to find if'n I'd posted on the 2000 Margaux. This killer bottle is still in diapers and now I wish I'd stuck to the 2nd label. No doubt this hummer is a classic but I'll not rate this baby until I open another in 2020. WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-21-2009

Well, if you're willing to share a sip or two, give me a call before you open them and I'll be out there on the first flight - unless we need passports by then.

- wdonovan - 07-22-2009

echo IK. These ppl obviously know nothing about (aged) wine if they judge a vintage by its performance long before maturity. I haven't started opening 2000 Bdx's yet other than to occasionally check progress.
FWIW Take their money, dress your wounds, and move on. Sorry just my take.
(just realized that this post out-ages the wines in question). I will leave my comments for future generations though.

[This message has been edited by wdonovan (edited 07-22-2009).]

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2009

KCWhippet is not IK although both live in New England.
I opened two 2000 Bordeaux last summer (not classified growths) and both of them had improved greatly over the past four or five years. I had ordered six bottles of one of them so I will probably have one or two more this fall or winter. It probably is way too early for the top chateaux wines.

- Kcwhippet - 07-22-2009

Say, whatever happened to Stevebody, anyway???

- wdonovan - 07-22-2009

Last seen at an '82 Premier Cru tasting in '86. After which, customers done him in.

- Innkeeper - 07-22-2009

The wineshop he opened in Woodinville, WA was flooded in January '08. He was selling his inventory online until very recently. As of now he can't be reached online or by phone.

- Kcwhippet - 07-22-2009

So, the shop was flooded a year and a half ago. Didn't he have insurance? I'm in a huge shop and it certainly wouldn't take us anywhere near that long to sell off our inventory. Weird.

- andrawes76 - 08-08-2009

KCW, what wine shop are you at? WW, would love to try Margaux 2000 or any other Bordeaux tasting. Next time, I would be on a flight there to give it a shot with you.

- Kcwhippet - 08-08-2009

Warehouse Wine & Spirits
Framingham, MA