WineBoard
Where de' money goin? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Where de' money goin? (/thread-5874.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 07-15-2001

A friend asked me what I was going to do with the cash saved from abstinenance of the Cali-Highs. To set the record straight, I doubled my order of 2000 Bordeaux futures. A close freind has tasted over 400 wines outta' barrel and ( I trust his Palate ) says the following are great or potentially outstanding wines from the vintage:
St Emilions

Ch L'Archange......35-40
Ch Barde Haute.....39-42
Ch Figeac..........60-65
Pressac............18-21
La Tour Figeac.....27-31

Pomerols

La Croix de Gay....25-28
Ch Montviel........23-26
Ch La Pointe.......22-25
Ch Clos Rene.......20-23

Haut- Medoc

Ch Beaumont........10-12
Ch Camensac........15-17
Ch La Lagune.......25-28
Ch Pontesac........16-18
Sociando Mallet....25-28

St Estephe

Ch De Pez..........17-19
Dame De Montrose...18-20
Les Orme De Pez....19-22
Ch Lafon Rochet....22-25
Paullic

Ch D'Armailhac.....22-25
Carrudes De Lafite.28-30
Duhart Milon-Roth..20-23
Forts De Latour....50-55
Haut Bages Liberal.20-22
Ch La Tourette.....25-28
Pontet Canet.......40-45

Margaux

Alter Ego De Palmer..32-35
Brane Cantenac.......40-44
Ch D'Issan...........27-30
Ch Monbrisson........19-22

St Julian

Brainaire-Ducru......28-32
Ch LaGrange..........24-27
Langoa Barton........40-45

There are many others but these are the bottles he felt had a particularly high P/Q. Another high wine on his list was a Bordeaux Superior Ch Reignac at 17-19. He gave it a 92. I've ordered the above and Bucko you'll notice not ONE FIRST GROWTH OR SUPER SECOND. I'm putting them on the same plane as the Cali's. Take that winemakers of the world! WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-15-2001).]

- ddf68 - 07-16-2001

I can't agree with you more. California had me on the ropes wondering whether I was going to buy '98s or, particularly, '99s. After seeing the 2000 Bordeaux prices, I wonder no more. I, too, bought the Sociando, Beaumont, Reignac, Branaire, Pontet, d'Armailhac, and many more at what I though was a song. It is extremely difficult for me to justify buying Phelps Napa, for example, at $35 when $35 buys the top wine from so many producers in so many regions. I like the Phelps, but it seems like California has forgotten there are other wine producing regions in the world.

ddf

- winoweenie - 07-16-2001

Amen Df . I'm not putting an end to buying Calif's, just the ones that are above 75. WW

- Botafogo - 07-16-2001

VErne, did you ever open one of those bottles of Mad Bitch Ale??? Awaiting tasting notes....

Roberto

- winoweenie - 07-17-2001

Verily Roberto, I've opened 2 of them suckers. Dem' dudes sure aint in Belgium anymores! My next door neighbor had 1 mug and I sent him home to bed. A marvelous drink. Called you yesserday an' as usual you weren't working. (yuck,yuck). WW

- wondersofwine - 07-17-2001

Thanks for the list WW. The managers of my usual wine store echo your friend's advice on La Tour Figeac, Brainaire-Ducru, Haut Batailley, and Pontet Canet. In their search for (comparative) bargains they also laud Talbot, Faugeres (St. Emilion) and Vieux Maillet (Pomerol). They probably won't be happy with me for bringing the last one to your attention because too much attention may increase the price or scarcity of allocation.

- Innkeeper - 08-27-2001

The genie is out of the proverbial jug with the WS edition of 9/15/01. If you have not ordered your '00 Bordeaux Futures run, don't walk to your nearest reputable wine merchent that deals in them.

- winoweenie - 08-27-2001

Been 'dere, done did hit! WW

- PortAh - 01-09-2002

is it too late to buy these futures,
or still pretty much widely available?

- Innkeeper - 01-10-2002

The price has gone up since last July as we get closer to release date, but if you go to a large retailer and ask, you still may be able to save some money over what the release price will be later this year.

- winoweenie - 01-10-2002

PortAh. Call Hi Time Cellars in Costa Mesa at 800 331 3005. They took a huge stand on the 2-granders and are reputable and honest merchants. WW

- winoweenie - 12-19-2007

Just a reminder to revisit a great vintage just coming into puberty.(Like Bucko) Still not going to open ennythin but the provicial stuff but have a 90 Ch. Gruaud Larose setting up for tomorrows prayer meeting with BRW plus a 97 Corison and a mystery Italian which you can bet your bippy I'll say sompin' about. Have I \said Happpy/Happy to youse fellers yet? WW

- TheEngineer - 12-19-2007

D@mn.....

I started this habit two years too late.....all of my 2000's were purchased after they arrived so inflated a few times buy that time......

Neat going back and reading these post. Thanks WW.

I see that you and bucko go back ribbing each other for many years.....

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 12-19-2007).]

- winoweenie - 12-19-2007

Yeppo Eng ole' Leather-Tongue and meeself go back to the formation of this lil' colony of winos. Both of us were friends of the founder Jerry Mead the original "Wine Curmudgeon". Great Palate, Great Writer, Great Person. Only person on this planet that could get me to sit down twice a day and spit out musings on my wine passion without getting paid for it. Hopefully I've helped carry on his passion to make sure that wine is looked at as a beverage that brings out the best attitude, companionship, and sharing instead of the snobbish eletism I'd experienced in my younger days of drinking. Nothing is more rewarding than seeing the light turn on as when a youngster has the "sock-rolling" experience. Hopefully I'll bne able to help spread the word a few more years. WW

- TheEngineer - 12-20-2007

WW, Bucko, IK, KC, Foodie, WoW, etc, I've been the recipient of many good learnings from the likes of youse all on this forum. Thank you is something we never say enough at any time but you guys have really helped guide me and my forming habits these past few years. For that I do want to say thank you.

To many many more years of great learning!

Happy Holidays!

- winoweenie - 12-20-2007

That's what makes this such a wonderful passion. Happy you're on board there Eng as KC had nothing but nice things to say about you and that's a hard thing for hims to cough up [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] WW

- winoweenie - 10-23-2008

Ran across this post whilst trying to find if I'd posted on the Le Forts de Latour so will post on that sucker here as another affermation of how great this vintage (IMHO) is. Like it's big Bro' Latour, this is a massive bottle of juice and I could definately be cited for killing a baby. Took 4 hours of decanted airing before anything showed. Then there was a promise of the depth of fruit, spice, and terrior that needs another 5-8 minimum to come forth. No doubt a great wine cloaked in loads of baby-fat. Still give that sucker a potential of 93-95/93. 49 en premieur. 12.5% alc. WW

- TheEngineer - 10-24-2008

I keep kicking myself for not picking up the mags of these that were offered to me sometime ago at $140 per.....

- winoweenie - 10-24-2008

A really good price IMHO at this late date. Id'a sure purchased them suckers. WW

- winoweenie - 02-16-2011

Back into the files and this turned up. Had a bottle of the Reignac and can assure enny of youse dudes that own this stuff in a nice enviorns dont worry your lil' head.... these hummers are still on the up-snort and will hold another 10+. Gorgus drinking juice and makes all this kicking over rocks to find stuff-n'-such well worth the effort. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 02-16-2011).]