WineBoard
Charity Wine Tasting, Mostly Bordeaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Charity Wine Tasting, Mostly Bordeaux (/thread-5841.html)

- wondersofwine - 10-09-2007

At Carolina Wine Company on Oct. 6. From the private collection of co-owner Chrish Peel. I sampled the Bordeaux flight of six wines for $20 and two vintages if Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve for $3.00 each. Other options were an Italian flight and an all-California flight.

1970 CHATEAU LA LAGUNE, HAUT-MEDOC (value listed as $195 a bottle)
Cited as the best La Lagune of the 70's. Brick-brown color paling some at the rim.
Almost sweet with a faint hint of prune on the nose and palate. Mellow, medium-bodied. Match with rare roast beef? Intriguing.

1978 CHATEAU GRUAUD-LAROSE, ST. JULIEN (value listed as $150 a bottle)
A top vintage of this popular St. Julien.
Umber brown color, paling at rim.
More earth on the nose than the La Lagune. Still some tannin present and a taste of dried cherries.

1986 L'ARROSEE, ST. EMILION ($150)
From L'Arrosee's heyday, when some critics felt it was the best wine in St. Emilion.
Reddish-brown color.
Seems to fall in between the first two wines of the flight--I liked it better than the Gruaud-Larose but not as well as the La Lagune.

1998 CHATEAU PALMER, MARGAUX (47% Cabernet Sauvignon and 47% Merlot with 6% Petit Verdot) ($150)
Quite frothy when poured. Very dark crimson color and opaque in density.
Black currant fruit more obvious in this one. Longer finish than the earlier ones. Back of palate suggests cherry. Very nice. A new favorite of the flight. (Owner's note on this wine, this vintage: Palmer again mounts a serious challenge to Chateaux Margaux itself.)

1998 CLOS L'EGLISE, POMEROL ($250) Owner's note: a great Pomerol in the best Right Bank vintage of the 90's.
Very dark red color and opaque. Sweet nose again. Viscosity shown on the glass. Luscious flavors of dark fruits. Drinking very smoothly. Female winemaker. Does that contribute to the feminine elegance or is it the proportion of Merlot? IMHO this wine is drinking at prime (but I lack the experience to say definitely that it will not improve further or that it won't experience a long plateau at this quality level--it just doesn't seem to require more cellaring.)

1998 CHATEAU PAVIE, ST. EMILION ($200 value for a bottle)
A Parker 95+ and 50-year wine.
Dark crimson. Nearly opaque. Divine mellow flavors to rival the Clos L'Eglise. Long finish. I'm not a Parker devotee but I admit to liking both this and the 2000 Pavie. (Also the 2000 Pavie-Maquin).

The California flight offered tastes of the '74, '84 and '94 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve along with an Eisele I believe and possibly a Joseph Phelps Insignia, etc. I have had the '94 Robert Mondavi before and liked it so chose to try the '74 and '94 vintages.

1974 ROBERT MONDAVI CABERNET SAUVIGNON RESERVE ($250 value)
Cited as the first great Mondavi reserve C.S.
Brownish color. Holding up well with fruit and slight herbal notes. Very enjoyable!

1994 ROBERT MONDAVI CABERNET SAUVIGNON RESERVE ($200 value)
Frothy when poured. Dark crimson color; semi-transparent.
Solid fruit. Structure to last. Gentle tannins on the finish. Very nice! Wish I owned some bottles of this.

- winoweenie - 10-09-2007

Solid notes WOW Have had the pleasure of all of the above with the exception of the E'Glise. Agree on your notes with the exception I think 94 Mondavi is in the exceptional range. WW

- TheEngineer - 10-09-2007

Nice range of wines! especially for $20!!

Thanks for the notes

- hotwine - 10-09-2007

Nice notes indeed. Thanks.

- brappy - 10-10-2007

Nice notes Jane. For that price, would have paid triple to get a triple pour. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] You mentioned a couple of times the pour was frothy. Does this have some significance?

Thanks in advance,

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 10-10-2007).]

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2007

Brappy,
I just thought it was unusual for a still wine to be frothy. Not sure what causes it. Do you know? Or maybe Glenora or Foodie would have an answer. There were several wines that I would have enjoyed in a triple pour but I still had to drive back to Fayetteville.
WW, I do find the '94 Robert Mondavi exceptional which is why I wish I owned some bottles.

- brappy - 10-11-2007

Have no idea.... maybe very slow or very fast pouring???? Thought maybe it was something you looked for. I've never noticed it. But haven't looked for it either.

mark