WineBoard
2000 Ch. Malescasse Haut-Medoc - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Ch. Malescasse Haut-Medoc (/thread-5833.html)



- hotwine - 10-20-2003 06:09 PM

With oak-grilled T-bones, "South Beach" mashers and fresh GUMBO! (dang, that stuff is good!) This Cru Bourgeois will roll your socks down! Prominent Cabernet Sauvignon with Merlot and probably Cab Franc in the background, this youngster already has a "wow!" factor, with saddleleather, cedar and pipe tobacco on the nose and tongue-tip; enough sharp tannins to merit socking it away for at least five, I'd guess. Alcohol is 12.5% and all of $13.79 at Costco. I only bought two bottles, but I'm gonna run like hell over there tomorrow and buy 'em out! I see WS gives it a 90, and for once I agree.

Oh, yeah... the "South Beach" masher subs pureed cauliflower for spuds. Steam 'em, toss 'em in a food processor with a bit of half-'n-half and cheese, sprinkle a dash of black pepper, and presto! She says she'll add some roasted garlic next time, but they're very good, and actually taste like spuds. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 10-20-2003).]


- hotwine - 10-22-2003 03:57 PM

Costco only had seven bottles left, but I got 'em all. Will check their other store 15 miles away tomorrow.


- Thomas - 10-22-2003 07:57 PM

Hotsie, you gotta help Drew out on his latest Bordeaux post--I won't touch that one with a ten-foot corkscrew!


- hotwine - 07-28-2006 06:35 PM

Pulled one tonight as a sub for the plonk that fed the drain monster. Still holding very well with enough chewy tannins to keep it humming for another 3-5.


- winoweenie - 07-28-2006 08:16 PM

Tankee dere ole Hotsie-poo for reminding me. I need to start on the 2000s' shortly. Have a box of this keen lil' bugger somewhere in the cellar. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-28-2006).]


- wondersofwine - 07-31-2006 11:02 AM

Nowadays the cost of gas to go 15 miles to another Costco would make the wine less of a bargain. I see that Exxon-Mobil posted another record profit.


- hotwine - 07-31-2006 11:18 AM

Wonders, I have to go over that way on business virtually every day anyway, so it's no big deal.

As for E-M's record profit: Good on 'em! That's what keeps them in business. Keep in mind that it only represents a 10% ROI. They sure go to a lot of trouble to make that 10%!

Here's another interesting stat: Only 30% of the world's petroleum production is controlled by private enterprises.... the remaining 70% is in the hands of governments (Iran, Venezuela, Nigeria, etc.). Dunno about you, but it sure doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.


- winoweenie - 08-01-2006 06:27 AM

Opened one of these hummers last nite. Only poured one glass as I found the same closed notes you mentioned. Put the sucker back in the cellar without the cork and will revisit for lunch today. Good stuff for the money. WW


- winoweenie - 08-02-2006 06:44 AM

Forgot this was opened in the cellar until last nite so's not to let this lil' sucker speerl I dutifully finished it off. Nose had expanded. Cigar-box, pencil-shavings, old saddle, and spice hit with nice infusions of black fruits. Enough solid tannins to carry this lil' baby another 4-6. Agree with the Hotsie-poo on the scoring. 90/92. Didn't buy this on futures but from John at Vintage at around 15 a clatter.12.5% alc. WW


- hotwine - 03-28-2009 10:20 PM

With bacon-wrapped oak-grilled fillet mignons and steamed broccoli..... at the TOIG. Everything in its place, a touch of sour cherry on the lingering finish. Don't see how it could get any better. Only a few left.


- hotwine - 01-17-2010 09:49 PM

Had another tonight with oak-grilled NY strips, fingerling spuds, carrots, onions, Bush's Grillin' Beans.... still TOIG. Hangin' in there very nicely with no fading at all. Finished with some 72% chocolate.

On to 24 tonight! Yee-haa!