WineBoard
2000 Les Fiefs de Lagrange - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Les Fiefs de Lagrange (/thread-5826.html)

- hotwine - 03-30-2006

Thought I'd pull one of these to accompany leftover NY strips, adding green beans, steamed rice and garlic bread. Wonderful nose of black currants and cedar, but.... not ready for prime time: 'way too tannic on the palate. Maybe decanting would have helped (simply opened an hour before dinner), but suspect it would have needed several hours if not days. Plan to sit on the rest for another 3-4. 13% alc/vol and about $16 on release.

- Innkeeper - 03-30-2006

We have a '97 that we're planning to pop sometime this year.

- winoweenie - 03-31-2006

Thar's why I've postponed opening any of the 00 growths. Tasted a few the last trip to San Diego and they seemed to be in the dumb stage. WW

- hotwine - 03-31-2006

IK, it will be interesting to read your TN on the '97 - might affirm (or refute) my estimate of another 3-4 needed for the '00, disregarding vintage variation. (Could experiment by opening another bottle and letting it sit for a couple of days, but don't want to burn one in the interest of science!)

- Innkeeper - 03-31-2006

We (as a rule) drink Left Bank seconds in nine years and the big guys in ten. For the Right Bank take a year off each. Of course all rules have exceptions.

- hotwine - 03-31-2006

Sounds like a good rule.

- hotwine - 03-31-2006

We each saved a glass by covering with Saranwrap and setting in the fridge overnight, then removing and allowing to warm to room temp to enjoy before dinner tonight (of roast chicken with an '02 Willamette Valley PN). Big improvement! Like a different wine, with tannins in background and lush fruit coming on strong. (Patience, hotsie, patience, it's like fly-fishing, just remember that.) Will try again in '09 (if still around).

- hotwine - 04-21-2008

Decided to try one last night with oak-grilled NY strips. Poured two hours before din-din but didn't decant. Opened up very, very nicely ... probably at least a year away from reaching its peak but a superb St Julien right now.

- hotwine - 04-21-2008

Tried another tonight with leftover NY strips and the cork showed it was cooked. Nose also. Poured a short glass anyway, hoping against hope and Surprise! It was still drinkable.... not as good as the one last night but acceptable. Maybe the cork was flawed/cracked.

- winoweenie - 04-22-2008

Hate it when that happens! Dint buy any of the baby La-G as the big boy was so derned cheap en primuir that I loaded up on it. I did buy the 2nd wine of every 1st growth and NONE of the big boys as I thot they were getting too proud of their product. Little did I realize just how proud they'd get. WW

- hotwine - 06-17-2008

Last night with NY strips & roasted veggies. Still keepin'-on keepin'-on.

- hotwine - 02-13-2009

Opened last night for an early Valentine's din-din of escargots, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, baked spuds and spinach salad. Cork was so soft it barely gripped the screw, nose showed funk, and sure enough it was badly flawed. Poured a second bottle and not as bad as first but not prime, either. Neither showed signs of being cooked so have to suspect cork taint. Have one remaining bottle of the '00 and will look for an excuse to spend it soon.

Whoops! Spoke too soon. Funk blew off overnight, leaving a pretty decent wine. Haven't encountered that with this label before, so totally unexpected.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 02-13-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-15-2009

Just noticed we both came up with very similar menus.

- hotwine - 02-15-2009

Just noticed that, too... but yours was more ambitious.

- hotwine - 02-15-2012

For V-day dinner of oak-grilled filet mignons, twice-baked spuds, roasted brocolli.... very nice indeed, no sign of earlier flaws.