WineBoard
2001 Carruades de Lafite (Pauillac) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Carruades de Lafite (Pauillac) (/thread-5814.html)

- hotwine - 10-02-2004

With leftover beast plus russets, baby spinach, 'shrooms, etc. (We each had half a steak night before last - she the strip, I the ribeye - so last night we switched.)

Decanted two hours before dinner. Black currant on the nose, more on the palate with hints of pencil shavings and tobacco, soft mouthfeel, lingering finish to complement every morsel of beef. No broodiness here, ready to dance now, but would undoubtedly survive a modest exile to the cellar. 12.5% alc and $26.99 at Costco.

The steaks were both USDA choice, with more marbling very evident in the ribeye than the strip, as expected. I've preferred ribeyes for many years, but have really become hooked on Costco's NY strips. Highly recommended for flavor and texture, and especially leanness, if one is concerned about that sort of thing.

- hotwine - 10-02-2004

A 'Net search turned up an opinion that this lady can age for 10-35 years. Can't determine if that's based on track record or a WAG. I believe the low end, but wouldn't expect there to be any fruit left after 35. Anyway, there's no chance I'll need to worry about it; will round out a box to call upon for special occasions over the next 10 or so. A very good buy at the price for this second label of the big boy, Ch. Lafite-Rothschild.

- winoweenie - 10-02-2004

Haven't tried the 01 but can assure you that every vintage of Carrudes I've had grew some major Rip-Van-Winkles. Drank the last of the 82s last year. KIller juice. Have a tad of the 00s' sleeping peacefully in the cavern. WW

- hotwine - 09-21-2009

Was about to pull this one for pairing with BEEF tenderloin tonight, and decided to check wine-searcher for latest prices..... just in case. Holy smokes, latest auction price was $1800! Snagged a lesser jug from the cave instead, a last-growth but from the '00 vintage. Will report later.

- TheEngineer - 09-21-2009

yeah...sigh...sometimes wines appreciate too much to almost drink. Fortunately you can still drink it like the $27 you spent on each of the bottles.... me?? ... sigh....

- winoweenie - 09-26-2009

WOW Hotsie think you may have looked at the wrong product. The 00 is only selling for 250-300 which IMHO is rediculous. I'll check this after I sign off. Just back from a miserable 5 days in San Diego. 'Twere hotter there than in the desert. CB said forit her comin' over so I be back and NOW I'm looking at 106 today and a light-running 108* tomorrow. My friends in Atlanta would gladly trade ours for theirs howm-so-ebberly. WW

- winoweenie - 09-27-2009

Just saw the Vinfolio auction price. This is either a mistake or someone be playing games wif them. If you look above this laughable post a retailor has a mag for 395 which is still a little high. Drink that sucker Hotsie and fergit all but the 20 or so smackers you paid for that bugger. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 10-02-2009

Good advice, WW. And thanks for the phone call. Agree it's best to think of them in terms of the purchase price instead of current market price.

- hotwine - 10-21-2010

Had another tonight with a big ribeye with roasted broccoli and oven fries. Did not decant but poured about an hour before din-din. Previous notes apply, still a very nice jug o' juice.

- TheEngineer - 10-22-2010

It's amazing that you got it when you did (i.e. before the market went crazy). Last posting of this wine was that at Auction it was going for $380 a bottle! Nice to be able to pop a wine that you bought for so much less and enjoy it.

- Thomas - 10-22-2010

Yes indeed, Hotwine. If you had a cellar full of deals like this one you'd see many of us in Texas at your front door.