WineBoard
Wines which goes well with Spicy Indian Food - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wines which goes well with Spicy Indian Food (/thread-57.html)

- elcaro - 03-25-2002

I need help choosing wines which can go well with spicy Indian food. Something which can go with vegeterian and/or chicken.

Thanks

- Innkeeper - 03-25-2002

Hi Elcaro, and welcome to the Wine Board. Gwurtztraminer, preferably from Alsace.

- elcaro - 03-25-2002

Thanks, How about 1997 Rutherford Hill Gwurtztraminer, Is this good a good choice.

[This message has been edited by elcaro (edited 03-25-2002).]

- Botafogo - 03-25-2002

As a serious aficionado of Indian Cuisine, my hand always reaches for the following:

Belgian White Bier which is already right in tune with the flavors as they use dried orange peel and coriander in the brewpot.

Prosecco or a quite fruity Champagne. The combination of bubbles and acidity works perfectly to cleanse the palate.

Spicy, aromatic DRY rose from Spain, Italy or the south of France.

Dry still Malvasia from Oltrepo Pavese or toscana, very flowery without being overpowering like some gewurz can be.

We routinely take all of these to our favorite Indian and Sri Lankan places and the first bottles emptied are ALWAYS the bier....

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 03-31-2002).]

- Randy Caparoso - 03-26-2002

In another thread we deduced that someone preferred the Rosemount Traminer-Riesling -- slightly sweet, light and easy drinking. An everyday, affordable choice.

Most times when I eat Indian food, the fare is definitely on the spicy-hot, thick side. This is why those yogurt drinks are so good with these dishes -- the lactic and sweet qualities help absorb all those dense, hot flavors.

So I can't help thinking that the best wines for this are cool and mildly sweet. Things like Traminer-Riesling, White Zinfandel (hey, the ones by producers like De Loach and Santino can be very fine!), and New World Rieslings (Jekel or J. Lohr from Monterey, Hogue or Chateau Ste. Michelle from Washington State, for starters).

So here's what I'm building up to: Food writers like David Rosengarten and Joshua Wesson champion the cause of German Riesling with Indian food, because the alcohol is lower (the "hot" taste of high alcohol, like you find in Alsatian wines, tends to exasperate sensations of heat in spicy foods) plus the soothing benefits of sugar. The thinking is very sound.

I think a very fine German Riesling makes the grandest choice of all for special occasions when you're serving Indian food. I'd personally opt for Riesling Kabinett (slightly sweet with mild tartness) or Riesling Spatlese (medium sweet, even softer and more delicate). When I was in Germany, once, I was given a taste test of a dozen or so different German wines to try with a thick, gooey, super-hot lamb curry, and a Riesling Auslese from the Mosel River (very sweet, and barely 8% alcohol) was the best for me!

Granted, most consumers today SAY they prefer dry wine. But when it comes to hot foods -- Asian, Indian, Mexican, South American, etc. -- I've seen even avowed dry wine drinkers gravitate to slightly to medium sweet wines.

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 03-26-2002).]

- Bucko - 03-26-2002

I'm with Roberto here -- something sparkling.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-26-2002

Okay. If it's to be sparkling wine, it should be something slightly sweet and sparkley -- like the aforementioned Prosecco from Italy (terrific values!), or Extra Dry Champagne or California sparkler (Korbel's, for starters).

- Botafogo - 03-26-2002

Since we are in a zone with at least a passing aquaintance with the concept of Karma I would think that giving money to people with such blatantly deceptive and manipulative advertising as Korbel could result in your reincarnation as a cockroach or even a glassy winged sharpshooter.... Stick with the Prosecco, some nice Loire Valley fizz or maybe Argyle Blanc de Blanc from Oregon, your soul will be rewarded and I PROMISE you your guests will not run screaming from your table because the Champagne is not Korbel.

Roberto @ WINE EXPO, the store for people who know that Korbel is NOT Champagne.

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 03-26-2002).]

- Thomas - 03-26-2002

uh oh, Roberto done started a riot, I predict.

As for the thread, I agree with all that has been said, even by Josh and David in their book. In fact, the only time I can take wine of the sweet Moscato sort is with Indian food--interesting!!

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2002

Just keep a bunch of bananas handy.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-27-2002

The only thing I can say is that whatever one may think about big, "bad" producers like Korbel, they still make good tasting wine, especially for the price. And besides, even the dumbest consumer knows that there is a difference between fine French Champagne and average quality American "Champagne." Problem? What problem? I'm also sure late, great Jack Davies died perfectly satisfied that he never duped a customer in his life with his "Champagnes."

Let's put it still another way: the Italians and French have been duping consumers left and right for years with their fake chateaux, their fake Pinot Grigio, their fake appellations, etc., etc. If we can forgive their excesses, certainly we can forgive a good quality American producer who is at least above board in the way they market their wine. Personally, I give less of a damn about the feelings of the French (not to mention wine snobs all over the world) than I do about the freedom of American wineries to deliver the best product they can for the money to the everyday consumer (who also doesn't give a damn about such distinctions, even when they know it!).

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 03-26-2002).]

- Botafogo - 03-27-2002

Randy, it's not the appropriation of place names that grinds me in those ads. It's the rank promotion of "brand anxiety" TIED IN with the false information. The average Korbel spot features a situation (swanky New Years party at a gazillion dollar mansion or a high level fund raiser of Society folks) where if the sparkling wine WAS Korbel the guests would be horrified as they expect and are used to something much better regardless of origin or labeling.

I am convinced that if Bud and Brown Forman could get Leni Reifenstahl to make their commercials for them they would. They are REALLY good students of the master propagandist's "big lie" theory: Make up a whopper and repeat it until it seems to be the status quo.

PLUS, there are so many nice people making good wines there is really no need to subsidize those other folks.

Twelve days till VinItaly and counting, Roberto

- Thomas - 03-28-2002

I knew it would come to this...

- elcaro - 03-28-2002

Thank you guys and gals. This has been a learning experience for me.

- mrdutton - 03-31-2002

I just love it when Randy and Roberto have a conversation.........!

My first choice would be a fine beer, my second choice would have been a german white and my third choice would have been a lite sparkler such as prosecco.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-31-2002).]