WineBoard
Nice Juice - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Nice Juice (/thread-5358.html)

- mrdutton - 10-15-2001

Van Ruiten Taylor, Lodi, 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon - Shiraz. Vinted and bottled by Van Ruiten Taylor, Graton, CA. CS is 52% and the Shiraz is 48%.

About 12.99 a bottle here in Virginia Beach before the case discount.

Fourteen percent alcohol, but not hot. Lots of dark berry fruit on the nose. Decent level of acid and a nice tannic pucker, but not overpowering. Suggests to me that this juice was released to be drunk NOW. Bought a half-case just after a sniff and a taste and the recommendation of my wine-guy. Very bright, dark ruby red color with excellent clarity.

The label says this wine goes well with:

All meat dishes
Barbecued anything
Pastas
People whose first name is Bob. (For that I don't qualify, my middle name is Robert,though.)

Anyone else had the pleasure of drinking this stuff? I will soon after I let it rest and then figure out what I want to BBQ.......

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 10-15-2001).]

- mrdutton - 10-16-2001

Couldn't wait for a BBQ idea. Popped a bottle open tonight. (What the heck, the short trip from the local wine shop should not have disturbed it too much.)

Luscious, dark garnet color with clarity good enough to read through. Wafts of Black Cherry, Spice and Vanilla on the nose from this full-bodied wine. Alcohol at 14.1% but this wine has enough structure to it to keep it from even seeming to be the least bit hot.

A wonderful mouthfeel, great fruit on the front, acid in-between and a finish that just does not quit. The palate gives me black fruit, spice, vanilla and a wonderfully smooth white chocolate finish along with the alcohol and the velvety feeling of tannin. (I'd suppose that WW might call this one a two or three tongue lapper - at least that is how many times I have to move the tongue around the teeth before the finish slowly disappears.)

For $12.99 a bottle this CS and Shiraz Blend is one of the very best juices I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

Frankly, I think this stuff is fantastic!!

As soon as I get my beef broth finished for my French Onion Soup, I'll be breaking out my Porterhouse steaks for the grill. I'll serve up the soup, the steaks, garlic mashers and some winter greens; I've no doubt this juice will be a great companion.

- mrdutton - 10-17-2001

I now declare this to be my own personal thread which will allow me to talk to myself whenever I wish............ (GRIN)

- Catch 22 - 10-17-2001

It's OK to talk to yourslf. It's even OK to talk to your dog. It's when the dog starts to talk back that you are in trouble...

- Drew - 10-17-2001

I can't even find a listing for such a wonderfully described wine yet a single bottle, in my area. No one seems to have heard of the vineyard.

Drew

- winoweenie - 10-18-2001

Don' feel bad Drew-Cleauseau, I can't find hide nor hair of the bugger eiffer! WW

- mrdutton - 10-18-2001

Drew - Eden Cafe and Grill, 122 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE lists it on their wine list. Thier tasting notes are surprisingly similar to mine.

WW & Drew-Cleauseau - the winery is a botique winery in the Lodi Appellation:

VanRuiten-Taylor Vineyard
340 W Highway 12
Lodi, CA 95242
209.334.5722 vrtwinery@aol.com

Check also: www.lodiwine.com

All that aside if any of you can find this juice it is SUPER good.

- mrdutton - 10-18-2001

Also check out the upcoming Family Winemakers Organization tasting in San Francisco this coming November.

Check www.familywinemakers.org/tasting.html

- mrdutton - 11-02-2001

Pop's Wine does not stock this juice, but they will special order it.

My case will be coming soon......... at a couple points less than it was priced here in Virginia Beach.

- mrdutton - 01-15-2002

It took the folks at Pop's a while, but they did it.

My case is on its way............. Should be here tomorrow.

My thread, I'll talk as much as I want and by the by the dog does not talk back! He just gives me this dumb look and goes brrrreeeewuhhhhhh.

- winoweenie - 01-16-2002

SNOOZEEEEEEE!!! Wake me up when the cork falls. WW

- mrdutton - 01-16-2002

Case arrived........ Cork fell.....

See notes above, this is great juice.

(Oh yeah, did not open the new arrival stuff, it is resting per IK's instructions.)

Opened locally purchased bottle that the wine shop guy said would never appear in this area again because of "distributor problems". Either he or the distributor lied. Bought a half-case locally to hold me over until the stuff from Pops showed up.....

Drew, IK, WW, WondersofWine, Winecollector, Foodie, Bucko....... everyone else: Find this stuff and give it a try.

- winedope - 01-16-2002

What's wrong with talking to your dog and receiving a reply?? My Lab, Daisy, talks to me all the time- non-verbally, of course.. This sounds like a really good buy. I hope that I can find it somewhere around here. WD